Help needed on Custom Guitar Project!!! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Help needed on Custom Guitar Project!!!

Ok, I am having a custom seven string made from an Argentinian luthier in a monthís time. Iíve been guitar-less for a long period already and I came very close from buying a Universe and from contacting LGM for a Leviiathan. I decided to go for this option so I can take full advantage of the Euro-Peso exchange (in other words, this project wonít cost me a dime). Iím argentinian and I want this axe to be a representation of my countryís flag. This is a mock-up of what I came up with:

There are two major concerns I have with the making of this axe: the inlay and the finish.

The inlay is not shown in the mock-up because I couldnít draw all the details on such a small neck.
Hereís an example of whatís in my mind:

That thing is supposed to be a golden sun on a figured maple fretboard and as for the design, thatís the best I could come up with. The argentinian flag has a golden sun in the middle in case you guys donít know it so I MUST have a sun as the inlay. Iíve always sucked at drawing so I am quite pleased with that but I realise itís not perfect either. I still have to come up with a pattern to fill the 12th fret circle. I am not certain either if the inlay is possible at all (maybe itís too detailed or something like that???). The luthier says he shouldnít have a problem with it but I wasn't expecting a negative answer either. Do you guys see anything I should be avoiding or have any comments on the design? THX.

As for the finish, it's supposed to be an equivalent of the Jem BSB or the JS BTB finish with white as the main colour and light-blue stains. Darren told me in another thread that the finish couldnít be achieved with the normal burning procedure so I was wondering if maybe there is another way of doing it. Again, the luthier said he has many techniques to get similar finishes but Iíd like the finished guitar to look as original to the mock-up as possible (not just similar). Any ideas?

Iíd really appreciate any thoughts you guys may have on the project since I have no idea about guitar making and stuff. I don't want to get too ambitious with this and then end up with a mediocre looking instrument. We've seen too many of them already. I just want my axe to be beautiful. THX in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 12:48 AM

It's a pitty that no one has replied. I just have to say the design looks great. Great idea and I really like that inlay pattern. I really can't give you any answers you see though. I probably don't know more about guitar making than you. But good luck with the project! Post pics when it's done!

-Bo
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Hey, thx man! I'm still working on the inlay and it's looking really good!

I'll post some pics as soon as work starts on her.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 10:09 AM

i don't have any answers either but just HAD to post to say "WOW!". very cool inlay idea and theme on the guitar - it will kind of seem like a "cloud/sky" finish on the guitar and with the sun on the fretboard, it will really give it a "full" themed look.
silly idea - maybe do a "night" look on the back with a moon on the headstock or something?
just a thought.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 12:42 PM

i can't give any answers either but i love the inlay too. I wouldn't put anything in the 12th fret circle though. And if the luthier says he can do it, he should. If he can't do it you could send it to LGM to do that inlay or if impossible, redisign it a bit
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 01:27 PM

Tom brought up a great point. If you have any reservations as to how the inlay is going to come out, you can always just leave the fretboard unfinished and send it to LGM. But that's probably gonna cost you more than you were ready to pay. In anycase though, I don't think that is an impossibly inlay to do. Look at the various vine inlays on Ibanez guitars and those crazy inlays on BC Rich guitars. Compared to those, yours doesn't look unresonable at all. So if you have faith in this luthier, which I'm sure you do, then go for it.

Also, I was sleeping on your idea of achieving a burned-stained finished but with a color other than black. Maybe you can try to burn the wood with some chemicals injected into it. I'm not really sure if it will work or not. Some elements definitly produce different colored flames but that's not the product. you want the product of the combustion reaction to be of a certain color. Off of the top of my head, I can't think of many Oxides that suits your color demand but I will continue to look into it. However, even if you can find the Oxide of the right color, you still can't avoid burning the wood, which will still result in a black burn mark. So the effect of using chemicals to produce certain color will probably end up looking like glitters on black burns, which im not sure if its what you want. Just some thoughts. It's incredibly random and disorganized so I'll post more when I get my brain working right. Meanwhile, I'll look up to see if there is an Oxide that is bluish in color and that is safe ( ).

best of luck

-Bo
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the interest!

As for the night-style back I think I'm gonna pass but it could be a great idea for the eventuality of a second custom job (first I'll have to see how well this one comes off! ). If everything goes well I'll probably have a Js style six string made by this guy and I was hoping to have it made in a dark colour. A Night six string partner to my Day Seven would look awesome in my (future) collection. I'll think about that project when the time is due but right now I'm placing my efforts on the Day model. Nice idea though.

As for the inlay, I was thinking that I might leave the fretboard blank for the moment or until I'm happy with the sun design. But if I DO have it done, it can only be by this guy since I want this baby to be 100% Argentinian. I'm not really worried that he may not be able to do it since the guy is pretty competent with fretboard embellishment (just check out this JP7 model: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...5/808a0461.jpg) but I'm afraid the design may not look good once it's on wood because maybe the frets have taken up too much space or something like that. Hope not!

Bo, Thanks for the tips on using the chemical stuff. I'm completely ignorant on that subject but I'll still suggest it to the guy if what he shows me doesn't please me. Let me know if you come up with any other thought.

Your help is greatly appreciated guys!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 09:41 PM

Oh wow. After seeing that fret board on the JP7 i have no doubt in my mind that this guy is simply awesome at what he does. as far as that in lay go, i suppose you can try to draw it in detail on the wood first, just to see if you like it.

in any case, there's no doubt in my mind that this project is gonna come out amazing. Tell us how much it cost you too, after it's all done. I'm toying with the idea of a custom jem too so if it's cheap enough, i might get it from this guy....but...lot of it hangs on whether i get into a good college or not!!!! ahhhh judgement day in 4 days!!! (Dec 10th) Soo nervous!!!

-Bo

p.s. sorry to get off topic a bit
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 08:34 AM

i m working with this guy too, Fede Good Luck!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 08:03 AM

Re: Help needed on Custom Guitar Project!!!

Nice project - coincidently the project I'm half way thru is a UV copy with a reverse headstock, and I really like the look of yours too. I always loved the PGM with reverse head but only 6 strings :-(

Tags
custom jem , fret board , ibanez guitars , jem bsb , maple fret , maple fretboard , reverse headstock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode