Help Needed: My 1st Custom Job - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Help Needed: My 1st Custom Job

Hey Jemsters,

I’ve just recently joined up due to my purchasing of my 3rd Ibanez (RG350DX) which I absolutely LOVE!

But reading some of the posts on this site has drawn me to modification, and if its going to be any of my guitars, I suppose it should be my GIO GRG170DX which was a demo stock clearance item for about $150AUD.

I’m aware that my first go at customization may not go incredibly well, but I do want to go the whole hog, and I may need a bit of help from you guys.

As far as painting goes, I think I’m OK, I have some nice ideas and have used the search function and google to help me on my way, thanks to everyone that’s posted great how-to’s.

It's the hardware side that I think I need help with. The pickups are awful in this thing (In fact I don’t think they are working at the moment – I haven’t picked it up in a while) so I was thinking of doing something a bit radical.

I want to take them all out, obviously so I can paint, but while it is stripped, I want to fill the Neck and Middle pickups and only have a bridge (which I’ll probably just use a EMG HZ that I have lying around).

This leaves room for my custom paintjob in the middle, and it looks different to all the rest. I will also be removing the Tone, Volume and Pickup selector switch. I know that people will think I’m crazy, but it will just be a display guitar, that I can play for kicks.

So my questions to the real techies out there are:
1)How do I wire up the pickup to bypass the Volume / Tone / Selector and go straight to the input and does this require any modification to the wood?
2) Will this actually function or should I leave at least the Volume?
3)What is the best ‘filler’ for the pickup holes and any other bits?

If you guys could give me a hand that would be great. I will be keeping everyone updated with my progress once I get a wriggle on.

Thanks all,

Benj

Last edited by Benj; 06-29-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Formatting Error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: Help Needed: My 1st Custom Job

Do you mean just have the pickup soldered right to the jack? If so, hot wire goes to hot lug, ground goes to ground. I'd recommend keeping the volume control at least. Seymour Duncan has a wiring diagram for that I think.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 11:36 PM

Reviews: 2

IBZshredder has it right for wiring straight to output (not input...electric guitars don't have inputs...).

You don't need a volume knob to make a guitar function. Wiring straight to the jack will get your sound to the amp just fine. You'll have no way of stopping it short of turning the amp off or getting a cable with a mute switch or the like though.

I'm reasonably sure that for filing you're best to options are either:

A) Fill with Marine Resin. I believe Linux Penguin has done this and could likely give you more information if he happens to pop into this thread

or

B) Fill with a block of wood. Cut it to the right size, glue it in, make sure the glue seals the cracks between the wood and the body and sand it all smooth and whatnot.

Both are likely to shrink eventually though.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:06 AM

Reviews: 11

WHO DOES THIS KIND OF STUFF?! OMG!

ME! lol

Ok. cutting a block of wood and filling it WOULD be ideal, however, not necessary.

Heres some ideas.

I use bondo backed with backing material to fill holes (vol/tone knob holes, stuff like that). It doesnt expand or contract much differently then wood will. I've never had issues with it. For LARGE holes like pickup cavities, I used epoxy resin with great success. It dries super duper hard, and will be impossible to remove, ever. Its a fairly easy process, pending you have some good sanding tools

For the direct wired pickup, you can go to radio shack and buy a 3 dollar SPST switch (on/off) and wire that in series with the hot wire to effectively create a kill switch. No volume knobs required . Hell, you could mount the switch on the back or side and have a totally clean front end of the guitar if you wanted to....

started life like this :

end of life :

And some how I let lerxst6 talk me into striping it EVH style, and I thank him for that hahah

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Wow, cheers guys, fantastic feedback. And that looks awesome LP! I'm trying to think of what I'll do with the headstock, but I'm keeping it a surprise...

Now I am throwing around the idea of painting the neck and fretboard. The thing is I want it white so that I can airbrush on some custom inlays... How viable is this?

Oh and what do you mean by 'backing material'?

Thanks again guys
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:36 AM

I wired up one of my guitars with no pots or switches. You'll get maximum output from your pickup. It works great, but I wish I had at least a kill switch.

Solder white and black together.
Red goes to the output tip. (switch could go between red and tip)
Green and ground (bare wire) go to sleeve.
Trem wire to sleeve.

I'm going to put all the controls back in (and pickup) so it looks better. If it didn't have the maple top, I'd just fill in the holes and swirl it like my other guitar.

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 06-30-2011 at 06:44 AM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:49 AM

Reviews: 1

i've used bondo before, but it heavily depends on which kind you use. i only used it because it was readily availible at the time. Glueing in the block of wood is your best bet.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Cheers guys, I'm going to strip the guitar this weekend and just see where everything will go.
I've sourced these some switches, if you search for 'SPST Round Red Illuminated Actuator Rocker Switch' on ebay australia, it'll pop up. Black surround with a red switch (needs to be red for the colour scheme).
Obviously I wont wire up the power for the illumination, but will they be ok? I'll mount it flush probably next to the input jack on the side of the guitar.
I'll just have to drill a 2mm hole straight into the electronics cutout yeah?
Then just wire the pickup to there and the switch to the output jack?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 03:39 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Bypass the volume pot by soldering the north start lead directly to the jack sleeve lug. Not really sure why you don't want a volume pot--maybe you're using an volume pedal...

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

AlaskaBat, cheers for that, that'll be a great help! I swear this is the most helpful forum Ive been on!

I don't want a volume because I want the front clean and don't really need it, the guitar is basically a display guitar that I might play every now and again.

I also want to see how it affects the sound, not having to go through a tone or volume pot.

I'm basically starting all this with no experience, basic woodworking / electronics knowledge and no painting experience but Im quietly confident
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 04:11 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Have you been to my wiring thread?
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/an...ad-110579.html

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 06:39 AM

That switch should work just fine. You could hook up a battery to it and use a stereo jack to light it up when you insert the cable. That is how they turn on active pickups/electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Bypass the volume pot by soldering the north start lead directly to the jack sleeve lug. Not really sure why you don't want a volume pot--maybe you're using an volume pedal...
You mean tip.

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 06-30-2011 at 06:48 AM.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 09:44 AM

I also have filled holes with epoxy resin, simple, and effective.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Cool, cheers for that, beginning the stripping down / sanding phase tonight.

AlaskaBat, did you end up writing that ebook on painting guitars? I read in one of your threads where you wer eplugging someone elses, but it was removed due to copyright.

I tried having a look but cant see if you ended up doing it up?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

1 more post for links...

Tags
custom , grg170 , single pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode