Help needed! My Ibanez Edge won't stay in tune after a pull up. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Help needed! My Ibanez Edge won't stay in tune after a pull up.

It stays in tune fine with a full dive, maybe give or take 1 or 2 cents off tune.

But when I do a pull up on this thing, the whole thing goes haywire.. My G and B strings can go up to 20 cents off tune, usually about 10+ cents off though.

This is a fairly new guitar, a RG655 that is only about 3 months old.

I have tried everything, tightened every screws, and ensured the knife edge is parallel to the body.

Thinking back, there was one time when the bridge kind of 'protruded' out when I took out all the strings, as in the bridge left it's position and the knife edge became visible, resting on top of the mounting stud.. I don't know how to describe it but imagine if you took out your bridge and literally rest it on the mounting stud. I managed to put it back in position by slightly forcing it back though.. Could this action have damaged the knife edge? It was under tension of the springs only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 08:40 AM

Re: Help needed! My Ibanez Edge won't stay in tune after a pull up.

lube the knife edges, give the trem posts a quarter turn, rub on some chapstick/vaseline to the recess where the knife edges make contact, then turn the trem posts a quarter turn back.
post #3 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newblues View Post
lube the knife edges, give the trem posts a quarter turn, rub on some chapstick/vaseline to the recess where the knife edges make contact, then turn the trem posts a quarter turn back.
So basically, raise the action by turning the trem post, and apply vaseline on the point where the knife edge meets the post?

How much vaseline should I apply? Would that thing hurt the trem in any way?
post #4 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxthesky View Post
So basically, raise the action by turning the trem post, and apply vaseline on the point where the knife edge meets the post?

How much vaseline should I apply? Would that thing hurt the trem in any way?
Yep thats pretty much it just a small amount will do the job, just enough to lubricate the knifes, as far as hurting the trem i'm fairly sure that no pain will be suffered i have done this to a few trems over the last few years with no side effects.
post #5 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yep thats pretty much it just a small amount will do the job, just enough to lubricate the knifes, as far as hurting the trem i'm fairly sure that no pain will be suffered i have done this to a few trems over the last few years with no side effects.
Alright I will see if I have vaseline around.. Do you think that action I did whereby the trem moved out of it's position could have damaged the knife edge?
post #6 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Alright I will see if I have vaseline around.. Do you think that action I did whereby the trem moved out of it's position could have damaged the knife edge?
If i need any vaseline/chapstick i always check my wifes handbag, she's always got some, so if you are married or have a girlfriend thats the first place to check, if not try your mother, be warned though she may give you a funny/suspicious look lol.

as for damaging the knife edge i couldn't comment on that, i tend to change 1 string at a time so i've never had the trem fall back like that however i cant imagine that it would damage them, but lubing it up should sort it, whenever i have had your problem its either the trem isnt at the right angle or the knife edges just need extra lubrication to return to the zero position (i have noticed that if it goes out of tune when you push down on the trem its the trem angle causing it, pulling up and out of tune is lubrication, could be a coincidence but that has been my observation)

I hope it works, theres nothing more frustrating than a trem that knocks the tuning out
post #7 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If i need any vaseline/chapstick i always check my wifes handbag, she's always got some, so if you are married or have a girlfriend thats the first place to check, if not try your mother, be warned though she may give you a funny/suspicious look lol.

as for damaging the knife edge i couldn't comment on that, i tend to change 1 string at a time so i've never had the trem fall back like that however i cant imagine that it would damage them, but lubing it up should sort it, whenever i have had your problem its either the trem isnt at the right angle or the knife edges just need extra lubrication to return to the zero position (i have noticed that if it goes out of tune when you push down on the trem its the trem angle causing it, pulling up and out of tune is lubrication, could be a coincidence but that has been my observation)

I hope it works, theres nothing more frustrating than a trem that knocks the tuning out
Alright I found some Vaseline, but how am I going to apply it to the trem post? I was thinking of raising the trem post, then use a cotton bud to apply to it, then spin it back to its height. Should that work?
post #8 of 139 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Alright I found some Vaseline, but how am I going to apply it to the trem post? I was thinking of raising the trem post, then use a cotton bud to apply to it, then spin it back to its height. Should that work?
only a small amount will be needed, i used a ****tail stick to apply it, but whatever you have handy will do the job

^^^ hahahahahaha pmsl, funniest thing i've seen in days, never seen ****tail stick censored before
Tehe i know its imature but lets see how many get censored
****spur
****erel
****atiel
****atoo
****ed
****ney
****pit
****roach

sorry

Last edited by newblues; 11-02-2015 at 07:37 AM. Reason: lol's
post #9 of 139 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Okay, I took out the entire bridge and unpon inspection, I don't find anything damaged on the curved knife edge, but the flat knife edge does have a TINY spot whereby the paint seems to have fallen off. Other than that when I run my fingernails through, the surface appears to be flat.

I applied Vaseline to it, and the strings are STILL going sharp.. Albeit not very much anymore, instead of going 20 cents sharp now it's more like 10 cents sharp.

Diving is fine, as usual.
post #10 of 139 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 08:43 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
only a small amount will be needed, i used a ****tail stick to apply it, but whatever you have handy will do the job

^^^ hahahahahaha pmsl, funniest thing i've seen in days, never seen ****tail stick censored before
Tehe i know its imature but lets see how many get censored
****spur
****erel
****atiel
****atoo
****ed
****ney
****pit
****roach

sorry
LMAO!!!!

It did it to me before when I tried talking about my ****atiel. I also work as a bartender on weekends. ****tails are another one I can't get past the curse filter.....
post #11 of 139 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 08:48 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Okay, I took out the entire bridge and unpon inspection, I don't find anything damaged on the curved knife edge, but the flat knife edge does have a TINY spot whereby the paint seems to have fallen off. Other than that when I run my fingernails through, the surface appears to be flat.

I applied Vaseline to it, and the strings are STILL going sharp.. Albeit not very much anymore, instead of going 20 cents sharp now it's more like 10 cents sharp.

Diving is fine, as usual.
Unless you have a PERFECTLY rounded edge on you knife edges and a perfectly smooth contact surface on your studs- return will always be slightly off with a pull. It should never be enough to be able to hear the difference. If you can hear it, you can check with Rich regarding super-studs and knife edge sharpening (actually rounding).
post #12 of 139 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Unless you have a PERFECTLY rounded edge on you knife edges and a perfectly smooth contact surface on your studs- return will always be slightly off with a pull. It should never be enough to be able to hear the difference. If you can hear it, you can check with Rich regarding super-studs and knife edge sharpening (actually rounding).
So, you are saying what I'm getting is normal?
post #13 of 139 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 10:26 AM

what i used to find, which was a bit wierd, when i pulled up it went out of tune but then if i dive bombed it it would return back to proper tuning. it was vey odd, I think what caused that was the trem being at the wrong angle (set up badly in shop, which for a £1500 guitar i thought sucked big style), Ive got the low pro edge on mine so you have to line up with the little insert on the side of the trem rather than the trem it self. then after a year more probs occured which i solved with the lubrication of trem posts. i find with the tuning after ive had some whammy bar adventures is usually spot on maybe with the red light on my tuner quickly flashing red but then it goes green. I hardly ever need to tune my js1000, usually only when i change the strings.

On a side note i'm thinking about getting a new pet maybe a ****er spaniel. hahahaha
post #14 of 139 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
what i used to find, which was a bit wierd, when i pulled up it went out of tune but then if i dive bombed it it would return back to proper tuning. it was vey odd, I think what caused that was the trem being at the wrong angle (set up badly in shop, which for a £1500 guitar i thought sucked big style), Ive got the low pro edge on mine so you have to line up with the little insert on the side of the trem rather than the trem it self. then after a year more probs occured which i solved with the lubrication of trem posts. i find with the tuning after ive had some whammy bar adventures is usually spot on maybe with the red light on my tuner quickly flashing red but then it goes green. I hardly ever need to tune my js1000, usually only when i change the strings.

On a side note i'm thinking about getting a new pet maybe a ****er spaniel. hahahaha
Hmm looking at my bridge angle, it seems to be 99% perfectly parallel with the body.. But I got it flush pretty deep in the body and its hard to tell when the knife edge is black, and so is the guitar lol.
post #15 of 139 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Thinking back, there was one time when the bridge kind of 'protruded' out when I took out all the strings, as in the bridge left it's position and the knife edge became visible, resting on top of the mounting stud.
I think that's normal. Anyone would like to comment on that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode