Help Needed, Tone pot wiring issue - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Angry Help Needed, Tone pot wiring issue

Ok, So I have an RG370dx and I am Having an issue with the tone pot or wiring. I have everything wired as shown on the seymour duncan website under "guitar wiring 102", with a five way switch added of course. I have each of the output prongs on the switch wired so that I should get tone control for each of the pickups individually. The 5 way pickup selector works flawlessly btw. The problem is, I have absolutely no difference in tone between all the way up, and all the way down. I have tested the tone pot with my multimeter. Set at 2m on the resistance scale, and as I turn the tone knob up and then down, I can see that the resistance is going from 0.00 to 5.20 and then back to 0.00; so I am assuming that means the tone pot itself is working correctly. I have also tried tapping the capacitor (that is ground to the top of the tone pot) while strumming as suggested in another thread on this site, and hear no difference, or popping / feedback on the guitar. I have tried about every different wiring solution possible between the selector switch, volume pot, and tone pot to no avail. The volume switch works correctly as it should as well. The only thing that I can see that might be causing this issue, would be the capacitor. Its not a small round capacitor as I see on almost all the other guitars, but a large, cylindrical orange capacitor. This was on the guitar when I purchased it. The capacitor reads SBE715P600V on the first line and 103k 1245 on the second line. Any suggestions, advice, or comments on this issue would be very much appreciated as I am at a loss of what is causing my issues since I have tested everything and have had no luck thus far. Thank you in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:49 AM

Re: Help Needed, Tone pot wiring issue

The second line on the capacitor starts with 103k. This should mean that it is a 10,000pF = 0,01F capacitor (K meaning just a tolerance of i think +/-10%).
It is an usually low value as the stock value on an RG with 500k tone pot is 0,022F.
A lower value of the capacitor always results in a higher cut-off frequency. Or in other words: a low value cap removes less high frequencies when the tone pot is turned all the way down.
I am absolutely not sure, but it could mean that your cut-off frequency is just too high to make any audible difference.

Cheers
J.
Jemerator is online  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks so much for the suggestion! I will try a different capacitor (0,022F) as you suggested. Would it be a good idea to get one with a bit larger value for more range? or do you think 0,022F would be just right? I am open to any suggestions if you think a specific capacitor would work best. Thanks again!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:10 AM

I haven't experimented with different capacitors as I don't use the tone control too much.
You could start with the 0,022F, which should at least give you an audible result and it is a common value for 500k pots. Or 0,047F for 250k pots.
You can buy some more because it is not a huge investment.
The thing is: With the tone pot you are not controlling the cut-off frequency from high to low but instead you blend in the effect. So once you start turning the knob when using a larger cap you are already losing lower frequencies and not just be able of removing more high freuqncies when turning all the way back.

Anyway, trial and error and see what you like best is the way to go.
Jemerator is online  

Tags
capacitor , pot , problem , tone , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode