Help with old RG560 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Help with old RG560

Hello guys

I recently got my hands on an '87 RG560 in Carotene Orange, but this thing was beat up to a pulp. The guy got some "heavy make up" on the guitar so it would look nice for photos and he sent it with a broken tremolo, a badly repaired neck and some dodgy finish on it.

Well, we already discussed it a bit on another post, in another area of the forum, and i'v decided to start hunting for new parts and maybe get a luthier to fix the neck. We'll see.

Anyway, right now I'm trying to remove this crappy finish and although I managed to take quite a bit off with my guitar pick (yeah, it comes off that easy), I'm pretty sure there has to be a better way to do this.
Any ideas on how i should approach this?

Here is a pic of the finish:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 12:09 AM

Reviews: 15
Re: Help with old RG560

I'd probably use an old credit card or plastic putty knife if it's coming off that easy. I'm assuming you're wanting to keep the original finish, correct?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Hello silver, thank you for stepping in!
Yes, I do want to keep the original. The more I look at it, the more I love it
I'm trying with an old credit card, its coming off a lot easier

As for the scratches in the original finish, any idea on what I could do to fix them? Maybe some polish just so it won't look as bad? XD I don't need it to look "as new" anyway, just not as bad as it is
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Any idea if alcohol or acetone would damage the original finish?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 01:46 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefer.fred View Post
Any idea if alcohol or acetone would damage the original finish?
denatured alcohol will not hurt the original clear, but it will do little to soften the paint your trying to get off.

You'll have better luck with acetone, but do a test spot first to be SURE it won't eat into the original clear (under the neck plate is a good test spot). I've never had acetone damage an original clear coat on an Ibanez but it WILL damage any plastic it comes in contact with and it WILL remove the original logo and "swoosh" from the headstock.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Here is an update.
The acetone does indeed damage the original finish. it removes the varnish i think (you can see in the upper right part of the pic near the lamp reflex)

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Hello again,

I just finished removing all the crappy paint off the body, there seems to be a lot of wear on the paint, and a lot of scratches (i think he actually tried to sand off the front of the guitar for a few mins but quit soon after)
There also seem to be some serious dents and worse of all, some pretty bad cracks.

I actually don't mind the worn out finish, it kinda makes it "unique" in it own... weird way.
But as the cracks and dents go, is it possible to fix it in some way?
Also, should i be able to polish the scratches with some polishing compound so they get shiny again?
Sorry, i don't have much experience with this.

Here are some pics:

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 11:43 PM

Reviews: 6

the cracks in the neck pocket are normal in the rgs...wow its faded but still cool...rubbing compound may help with some of the surface scratches...while ive never done it i know when companies finish guitars they wet sand the clear to make them glossy...jackson guitars used to use a thin layer of car wax on their new guitars as well...sorry no clue what the "a" on the neck heel is...d.m.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Thank you d.m., i was afraid you guys were gonna say something like "it's broken, trash it" :v
It's still cool right? I kinda dig it too
I'll try some wax and see how it goes. I'll keep you guys updated
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 08:05 AM

Hey ,

How you getting on with this?

Had similar experience buying a what was a RG550 guitar (Although the paint work could not be saved), it turned out well in the end though which was cool.

Kind of like the look from the photos above, did you get rid of the scratches?
If so that would be a bonus.

RG Bargie
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Hello!
Thanks for stepping in.

I'm glad to hear your experience turned out well!
Do you have some pictures? I'd love to see them

I managed to get rid of most of the scratches on the back by using car polish, but it takes a while to do it by hand so i didn't have the opportunity to polish the front yet. Maybe this weekend, let's see how it goes
I have to say that the car polish is a "miracle worker" removing scratches, even the deeper ones! (Unless they are finish cracks, nothing u can do about those)

I also have to add that i ended up buying that 450 from another member of this forum, and although the neck isn't EXACTLY the same (it has gloss finish and i think the one that came with the 560 did not, and i believe it is a little bit fatter at the 12th fret with something like a D profile, while the 560's one seems a bit more like a C profile - therefore it feels "fatter" although is probably has the same 19mm tickness), the lo-pro was a perfect fit

I also got myself a Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2(DP409), probably for the neck position, and i'm thinking about keeping the Evo on the bridge.
The Air Norton S (DP180) and SDS-1 (DP111-RW) that it came with were really not my coup of tea.
Now i'll have to figure something out for the middle position, but i'm in no hurry since i usually only use neck and bridge positions while playing.
As a last resort, i may end up putting the SDS-1 back, or the stock S1 that came with the 450, or even a DD SC101-rw that i have laying around. Better than having an empty hole

So, the plan right now is to polish the rest of the finish, maybe this weeked, and i believe i'll end up taking the neck to a luthier and see what can be done with it. i REALLY like that neck.

I'll try to upload some pics tomorow so you guys can see how the back turned out after polishing
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefer.fred View Post
Hello!
Thanks for stepping in.

I'm glad to hear your experience turned out well!
Do you have some pictures? I'd love to see them

I managed to get rid of most of the scratches on the back by using car polish, but it takes a while to do it by hand so i didn't have the opportunity to polish the front yet. Maybe this weekend, let's see how it goes
I have to say that the car polish is a "miracle worker" removing scratches, even the deeper ones! (Unless they are finish cracks, nothing u can do about those)

I also have to add that i ended up buying that 450 from another member of this forum, and although the neck isn't EXACTLY the same (it has gloss finish and i think the one that came with the 560 did not, and i believe it is a little bit fatter at the 12th fret with something like a D profile, while the 560's one seems a bit more like a C profile - therefore it feels "fatter" although is probably has the same 19mm tickness), the lo-pro was a perfect fit

I also got myself a Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2(DP409), probably for the neck position, and i'm thinking about keeping the Evo on the bridge.
The Air Norton S (DP180) and SDS-1 (DP111-RW) that it came with were really not my coup of tea.
Now i'll have to figure something out for the middle position, but i'm in no hurry since i usually only use neck and bridge positions while playing.
As a last resort, i may end up putting the SDS-1 back, or the stock S1 that came with the 450, or even a DD SC101-rw that i have laying around. Better than having an empty hole

So, the plan right now is to polish the rest of the finish, maybe this weeked, and i believe i'll end up taking the neck to a luthier and see what can be done with it. i REALLY like that neck.

I'll try to upload some pics tomorow so you guys can see how the back turned out after polishing
Hi, Yes there are some photos links of the guitar in a thread I posted (if you check against my posts.

I am interested in the car polish you mention, is it a t-cut? I have some car polish carnauba wax which I used to gloss up the finish on my project but that would not remove scratches.

Cool on the 450 front, I had a 450 which the neck was stamped as a 550R which I nearly used as a replacement on the guitar. The neck on the 450 was awesome but I wanted a maple board so did not use it. Sadly I sold the 450 which I kind of regret for the neck alone.

Same as you, not a user of the middle pickup & just left the stock pup in. Agreed better than a hole.

Look forward to seeing your photos as this progresses.

RG Bargie
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Just checked your post, love what you did nice color.
Although i would probably just give it a natural finish, i can see how the 3 piece body would probably end up on your nerves. But a maple board 550 with natural finish on body and headstock, that's one i would love to have
I would consider going that route on my 450, if it had a maple board.

About the polish i'm using, i can't really give you much information on it. I asked a guy on my work that does some automobile mechanic stuff (don't know how to call it, sorry), and he gave me a bit of the polishing compound he uses on a plastic water bottle . I can tell you though that it does indeed remove scratches. Light scratches are a breeze but the deeper ones need some work on them. like, 2 hours of rubbing
I should probably get a polishing machine, the front looks pretty bad and if one deep scratch takes hours of polishing, i can't begin to imagine how much time would take to polish the front, which is in pretty bad shape.
I also bought another cheap car polish from the local supermarket, but that one seems to leave more scratches than the ones it removes... I'll try asking him the brand he gave me on monday, maybe i can give you more insight about it then.

I wish this 450's neck was a 550R, but it's a 470R and i do think it's a little bit different (although i only have this 560's neck to compare, which says 550R but i have no idea of what it has been through)

BTW, any idea if Dimarzio makes a good Alnico humbucker for the bridge?
I do not dislike the Evo, in fact i was quite fond of it with the Air Norton S on the neck, but since i decided to change the neck for an Alnico2, i was just wondering if there are any good options down that road (I love JB but i wanted to keep it Dimarzio)

And here are some pics of the polished back, although i don't think you can see much.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the comments (it did take me a while to decide to paint - the glue lines were the deciding factor). Also I like orange.

The pictures look pretty good where you have been polishing the hard work starting to show. Looking forward to seeing the front when you have got it done.

regarding pickups, what kind of sound are you after/type of music do you play? Think that will be a factor in the type of pup that suits.

I have never tried/used the evo to be fair (don't think they would really suit for me).

RG Bargie
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Thank you
The back is looking pretty decent, but I stopped polishing it by hand by the time of my last post.
I talked with the guy from my work and he will do it with a proper machine!
Just brought it in today, I’ll probably be able to post a few pictures in a few more days

As for the pickups, what I usually look for in them is versatility and clarity (note definition). I’m not too fond of having to switch guitars as I switch styles.
As I said before, to me the most important are the neck and bridge pickup.
I play mostly on the neck position and my repertoire ranges from classical fingerstyle and jazz to dirty blues and fast neoclassical stuff.
As for the bridge pickup, I like a strong humbucker that can handle gain well (I really don’t need cleans on the bridge) for emphasizing a blues passage or to handle more “grindy” rhythm playing (think trash/power metal).

I haven’t tried the Heavy Blues II yet, as the guitar is still in pieces.
But as I said before, the Evo was a nice pair with the Air Norton S, too bad the AirNorton sounds too compressed for my ears.
Now I’m worried the Evo won’t match the output on the HeavyBlues :\
I think the Evo might be a little too high output and won’t blend that well, but I’ll probably just have to wait until I have the guitar assembled again and try it out.

Sorry for the long post again

Tags
finish , orange , rg560

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode