Help! Pickup wiring issues. HSS - humbucker replacement - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Help! Pickup wiring issues. HSS - humbucker replacement

1986 Ibanez DX series Roadstar 2 RG440PB – HSS – 5 position switch 1 volume, I coil tapping Push Pull Tone.
Pix 1st the guitar, 2nd the wiring diagram I have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1357711...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1357711...n/photostream/

NooB with all this stuff, this is like my fourth ever pickup job. I replaced the Bridge Humbucker and now the middle single coil pickup doesn’t work.

The humbucker and coil tap works perfect. The Neck single coil works fine. The center (#3) position on the 5-position switch is dead. Nothing. In position #4 which I think is supposed to be the bridge Humbucker + Middle Single coil only has the Humbucker. Oddly, position #2, which I think is the two single coils together, does get something out of the middle position single coil???? I can’t figure this out! ** The wireing diagram is NOT the same as how this was originally wired. I can detail the deviations if anyone thinks that will provide value. **

I started by writing out a diagram of the current wiring. All 2-wire pickups. I noted the differences with the diagram. But everything always worked perfectly so I merely noted the differences and didn’t worry about it. The new dimarzio pickup is a 4-wire so I made an educated guess consistent with my previous pickup changes and used the dimarzio diagrams for push pull coil taps as reference. After I was done I tested and the new pickup worked perfect. Went through the other positions and the middle pickup wasn’t working. ****. I checked the wiring again. Double ****! I noticed the “white” wire to the #2 tab on the 5-position switch had come off. I resoldered, clearly that was the problem. Still doesn’t work. I checked for shorts. Taped up the ground wires. I removed all the solder from the tab. Cleaned the tab with wire brush. Stripped and retinned the wire. Reconnected. Still no good. I checked for a possible short. Still no good. The odd thing is I seem to get some weak activity when both single coils are selected. I never tested that before, so I don’t know if in this position the middle pickup should be about half strength compared to the neck pickup. Not sure where to go from here, other than have a pro fix my mess? I mostly only play on the bridge and neck pickups anyway, so I could live with this for a while, but obviously I want my newly refurbished old girl in tip top.

Advice???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Re: Help! Pickup wiring issues. HSS - humbucker replacement

So I checked out my radius which though wired differently is HSS as well. I notice that on several positions where a pickup is not selected tapping on the poles with a screw driver does give a slight sound much lower (obviously) than the "on" pickup. So I guess when I tap the poles of the other guitar and hear something it doesn't mean much. But it is still interesting that when that middle pickup is selected it is completely dead, and in position two it makes some low noise when tapped. I'm not sure that this rules anything in or out, but I just thought I would give as much info as I can.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Re: Help! Pickup wiring issues. HSS - humbucker replacement

Any suggestions???

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , coil pickup , coil tap , coil tapping , dimarzio pickup , neck pickup , neck pickups , pull coil , pull coil tap , pull tone , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode