help please, new 1527 truss rod problem i think. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

help please, new 1527 truss rod problem i think.

Ok, I just got my new 1527 7string and its sweet etc however I'm having a nightmare with the action and the neck and i think the truss rod needs adjusting.

Firstly the setup from the factory was appaling, but no supprise there expected to have to tweak. Gauge 9's and 3 springs is the dumbest thing I've had 4 ibanez's now and none have ever floated at the right angle with 9's and 3 springs.

So first thing i did was change add another spring and set the trem angle. Next I noticed the action was really high, so I lowered the bridge which took down the the action in the high frets but the middle of the neck still has way way to much height. Its really uncomfortable to play.

I'm guessing that this means there's too much bow in the neck and it needs tightening to even it out? I'm a complete novice with truss rods and am reasonably scared of them, however perfectly willing to adjust it with the wonderful advice of the techies on here! If anyone can give me a diagnosis if what i'm saying is correct and if so whats the best way to adjust the truss rod.

Thanks in advance.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 01:18 PM
Vendor

All the techies here will tell you if you can't get the correct trem angle with 9's and 3 springs then you're trying to get an incorrect trem angle

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm

Fret first and last fret and note the gap at the 9th. Big gap tighten the truss rod. No gap loosen it. You can't go wrong making a truss adjustment unless you go past a straight neck and into backbbow.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

thanks rich, however i've devoured your tech setups sectins many times and it was your wisdom and excellent tips that first convinced me to take my neck and bridge off my jem . Sounds silly now but i was paranoid about it.

however i still contest that evey edge trem i've had has never floated to the angle you say is correct with 3 springs and guage 9's.

But back on track anyway about the truss rod...is it ok to just pop the bridge off to do the adjustments, is this best so i dont have the tension of the strings whilst turning the rod?

thanks again mate

Dave
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Vendor

There's no reason not to adjust the rod at full pitch
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

really? i was told by a lutheir degree student that you shouldnt adjust the rod with the string tension on...but you've been doing this for how long? so if you come back with an explanation for me dude, i'll be attacking my rod this evening

cheers again

dave

p.s one more thing, is it turn the wrench to the right to lessen the bow, i.e bring the action down?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Vendor

Let me know when he graduates
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

LoL ok fair enough i guess its alright then?

so was i correct about the direction i'm turning it in?

thanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Vendor

He may have a point for old tired vintage types that have 40-50 years or more of constant wear and the possibility of stripping a well worn truss rod, but that's not exactly apples and oranges is it?

righty tighty

Tags
edge trem , high frets , straight neck , string tension , truss rod , truss rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode