Help! RG550 with poor sustain! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Help! RG550 with poor sustain!

Hey dudes, I've got a problem. I hope you can help me! I have a 88 RG550 with DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck, S1 Mid (stock) and DiMarzio/IBZ in the bridge. So my problem is that the sustain is really poor.. My cheap Apollo guitar I bought for 100 bucks has better sustain. It would hold for around 2-3 seconds and it would die out whereas on the cheap guitar I can hold it for a solid 10-15 seconds. This is with fretted notes. I have the stock Edge bridge and the stock Gotoh tuners if that helps. Thank you!

Guitar in question:
https://flic.kr/p/MqHHXM

Last edited by sdiefko; 09-20-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 02:03 PM

Re: Help! RG550 with poor sustain!

Poor sustain can happen when the bridge is at the wrong angle or if the frets are too uneven.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:48 PM

Reviews: 15

Have you considered adjusting the pickup heights? If they're too close to the strings that'll put a damper on them real quick.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 02:10 AM

As the electronics are not original and it seems to have been repainted, it might have various reasons in the end. I would also start investigating in the above answers.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. Jemerator what makes you thing it was repainted? Just curious because actually I'm not certain this is the original paint, but I can see a little drip caught under the clear coat.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 10:04 AM

The picture shows paint in the cavity below the trem. Usually there should be foam rubber and people often remove it for a repaint.
Also the edges look a bit more rounded. Not sure though. Some more pictures, maybe from the inside of the guitar could help. You could take a picture of the electronics on this occasion.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiefko View Post
Hey dudes, I've got a problem. I hope you can help me! I have a 88 RG550 with DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck, S1 Mid (stock) and DiMarzio/IBZ in the bridge. So my problem is that the sustain is really poor.. My cheap Apollo guitar I bought for 100 bucks has better sustain. It would hold for around 2-3 seconds and it would die out whereas on the cheap guitar I can hold it for a solid 10-15 seconds. This is with fretted notes. I have the stock Edge bridge and the stock Gotoh tuners if that helps. Thank you!

Guitar in question:
https://flic.kr/p/MqHHXM
I would suggest you take your time and do proper measures of all the possible culprits such as; string height (or action), frets, possible neck warp, truss rod, etc... and adjust these, I guarantee that after a good and DIY setup the sustain will improve dramatically.

Please refer to ibanezrules.com and go to the tech section on the top of the page, make sure your read and understand at least points; 4, 5, 6, 7 and 10 as these will give you a great insight on how to properly setup your guitar.

Please report back with the results and if the issue persists we might be able to help you further with different suggestions.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemerator View Post
The picture shows paint in the cavity below the trem. Usually there should be foam rubber and people often remove it for a repaint.
Also the edges look a bit more rounded. Not sure though. Some more pictures, maybe from the inside of the guitar could help. You could take a picture of the electronics on this occasion.
The foam is still there but has paint over it, so good point there! I suppose it IS repainted. That just makes me more keen on refinishing her myself. I wanted to retain the yellow-turning-white but since it's not original It's not so fun anymore.

https://flic.kr/p/MuAqg4 Here's a pic of the insides

Last edited by sdiefko; 09-22-2016 at 05:39 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMoral View Post
I would suggest you take your time and do proper measures of all the possible culprits such as; string height (or action), frets, possible neck warp, truss rod, etc... and adjust these, I guarantee that after a good and DIY setup the sustain will improve dramatically.

Please refer to ibanezrules.com and go to the tech section on the top of the page, make sure your read and understand at least points; 4, 5, 6, 7 and 10 as these will give you a great insight on how to properly setup your guitar.

Please report back with the results and if the issue persists we might be able to help you further with different suggestions.
Thank you, I will do that. Just need to get some strings
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 02:28 PM

Reviews: 6

it seems that the trem has been repainted too, is that possible?
Could the paint dampen the string vibration on the saddles grooves?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post
it seems that the trem has been repainted too, is that possible?
Could the paint dampen the string vibration on the saddles grooves?
Whoa, man, are you sure?!
I don't know man it looks fine to me, here's a pic after I deep cleaned it recently: https://flic.kr/p/MngVhg
It has a few scuffs on the sides tho
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 04:15 PM

Reviews: 6

no it hasn't been repainted, but it looked like on the 1st pic.
Now seek for the other possibilities that were listed before.
I also have a RG550 with not so much sustain, but it is way worse on yours.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post
no it hasn't been repainted, but it looked like on the 1st pic.
Now seek for the other possibilities that were listed before.
I also have a RG550 with not so much sustain, but it is way worse on yours.
Aye, just waiting for a few days since these days are holiday days here and my local music shop ain't working :/
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 06:02 AM

make sure the neck is tight in the pocket, no gaps

Tags
poor sustain , rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode