HELP: Setup of Ibanez RG520QS - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

HELP: Setup of Ibanez RG520QS

I am trying to setup this great guitar. It is only a year old and has not been used TOO much.. None of the frets are worn in or out of place or anything.

When my truss rod is straight, my two E strings are about 2.5mm above the 12th fret. As it is, I get a little buzz from the D and G strings if I pick with a medium pick. If I lower the bridge anymore, I get a lot more buzz in the D and G strings. I am testing the bridge height at the 1th - 15th frets. I only get the buzzing on the 10th - 12th frets. I am mostly positive it is not a fret problem, they are not undone in anyway, not worn in, and the guitar is only a year old. What can I try doing? The neck is shimmed at the neck side.

I get a little bit of buzz from the 1-7 frets with a little neck relief. I only hear it when playing with a heavy pick or when I play chords. Is this normal/acceptable? I know most of it isn't audible when plugged in, but personally I think buzz feels horrible. BTW, I am using D'Addario EXL120's (0.09's).

Let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 01:05 PM

HELP: Setup of Ibanez RG520QS

Hi,
You want a slight bow on the neck via truss rod adjustment. (this will combat lower fret buzz).
Once adjusted let it settle in for a day or so.

From then on work the bridge until you find an acceptable level. (this will reduce higher fret buzz)
It's fine to have some very slight buzz so don't worry about that, just as long as it doesn't buzz like crazy.

Check the setup section of the site.
Sorry I couldn't be more specific, tech is my worst area

gl

Steve

Tags
addario exl , fret buzz , neck relief , rod adjustment , truss rod , truss rod adjustment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode