Help, String Action Issue, Neck Trust Rod Relief? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Help, String Action Issue, Neck Trust Rod Relief?

I was hoping some of the super informed members could give their advice on my issue. I own a 91 UV7BK that I haven't been playing for 5 or more years. I can't remember the last time I changed the strings but I'm guessing it's about that long. I bought a pack of D'Addario EXL120-7 Nickel Wound, 7-String, Super Light which is what was on the guitar before. Gauges are .009, .011, .016, Nickel Wound .024, .032, .042 , .054.

The string tension was a bit more so I increased the tension on the tremolo springs a bit. The guitar has always had amazing action but now that the new strings are on my neck seems to have bowed a bit from the 1st fret to about the 4th or 5th fret creating some really bad action down the neck. I added some pic below for reference. I didn't have a metric ruler so I use an old school american ruler. I know the action is at least more that 3mm since I can slip a 3 mm pick in between my string and frets. I haven't tried lowering the tremolo because I'm also getting some buzzing on the open low E string that wasn't there before as well.

I guess my question is can just replacing strings do this to a neck? I haven't had this guitar set up in a long time but the action was great before I replaced the strings. I've never experienced such a change from replacing strings before. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

3rd fret
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ps3kqcux4x.jpg

12 to 24th fret
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ps4t4wpzkv.jpg

3rd fret
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ps1rzekv6j.jpg

12th fret
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...psjrhp5eo6.jpg

24th fret
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...psicpstxra.jpg

Tried to add a pic showing the bowing around the 1-4 fret
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...pse7k9k4lz.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:10 PM

Re: Help, String Action Issue, Neck Trust Rod Relief?

looks like the truss needs to be tightened

to check the relief low string one finger on fret 1 and hold down the last fret then look at the space between the string and the frets around the seventh fret

here is a better version
http://www.premierguitar.com/article...eck_Adjustment
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

I've never done anything like adjust the trust rod before. I've wired pups, switched and adjusted the hight of my tremolo before but I'll check out the link you sent me and see if It's something I feel comfortable doing.

I've never had my neck get so out of whack from just changing strings before. Seems really weird. I think ultimately I should bring it for a set up but I don't know anyone in new york who I feel comfortable with setting up my Ibanez's. I had brought one of my jems to a guy and he did a horrible job setting up the tremolo. The top of the trem was flush with the body making the trem set way to far back. Because the Edge is angled you have to have the bottom flush not the top. The guy did a find job with my 71 telecaster but I wish I know someone good in NYC who can do a good job with these types of guitars.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 02:40 AM

Don't be nervous about adjusting the truss rod matey, it's really simple and if you go with incremental adjustments you'll be surprised at the results. Here's Rich's page on truss rod adjustment. This is what helped me conquer my fear of the rod a couple of years ago. Now I would adjust any of my guitars without hesitation. Use the correct tool though, no excuses. Go for it man!

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/truss.htm

All the best!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 03:24 AM

Yeah it's really easy to adjust the truss rod, don't sweat it! Just don't go nuts with it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Copy that. I'll read Rich's link on set ups and give it a go. Very cautiously I might add. Thanks for the input.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzoranski View Post
Copy that. I'll read Rich's link on set ups and give it a go. Very cautiously I might add. Thanks for the input.
Just while I think to tell you;

Before you start to move the truss rod have a look at the neck shape. This will give you a starting point of what the neck shape was and what the truss adjustment is then doing to the neck. Look past the side of the bridge and down the side of the neck from the bottom of the guitar, kind of like you would aim a bow & arrow. The guitar strings should be facing the ceiling and the headstock away from you. Make sure some light is reflecting down the side of the neck and that the surface beyond the neck is blank, like a plainly painted light coloured wall. Line up the ends of the frets in your eye-line and you should start to see either a gentle curve along the line of fret ends or it will be straight. In your case I think you'll see a gentle curve. Remember this 'shape'.

Sometimes, if the rod hasn't moved for a while, it will make a light 'crack' type sound when it first moves. DON'T freak out, it's normal. It's just the rod kind of loosening from being stuck in one place for so long.

You will probably have to apply some pressure for the rod to move. Not excessive, but still a fair amount. It's not meant to be loose so to have some resistance is normal.

After each adjustment have another look down the side of the fretboard. It doesn't take long for the wood to react and you'll see a gentle change in the shape. Then do the action height check as mentioned by the other dudes.

Good luck and easy does it. Let us know how you get on!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

I finally got my intonation gauge but now I can't find the allen wrench for my UV7BK. I tried using a regular allen wrench but I can't seem to get it to fit down into the trust rode cavity. The part that bends on a 90 degree angle is to long. Does anyone know where I can get one for my universe that will fit? I email Ibanez but they haven't responded to me.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 08:26 PM
Vendor

Only a UV70 would have a 4mm allen truss rod end. A UV7 has a 7mm nut. A 1/4" drive 7mm socket will work in a pinch.
Rich is online  

Tags
jem action , trust rod adjustment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode