Help with tightening arm holder/removing trem... i'm scared! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
ddk

Help with tightening arm holder/removing trem... i'm scared!

Hi all,

I have been playing Ibanez guitars equipped with Edge trems for 15 years and have NEVER heard of tightening the arm holder until I did a jemsite search. So THANK YOU! I have been putting up with loose, jiggly bars this whole time, and I want to fix it, because they PISS ME OFF!!

I have read through the instructions at
http://jemsite.com/tech/t_3other.htm#tremarmholder

and

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/loose_holder.htm

but there are several points I wanted to clarify before diving in.

The jemsite directions seemed to point towards performing the repair with a deep socket wrench and screwdriver with the trem in place, while the ibanezrules site recommends removing the trem and using a 10mm wrench and "channel lock" pliers. Any recommendations for using one method over the other?

As far as tools needed, I have a 10mm wrench, but do not know what channel lock pliers are. I did a google search, and am getting confused because apparently there is a BRAND of pliers with the name "channel lock." Can anyone clarify what specific tool(s) I should be looking for?

THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 05:46 PM
Vendor

If it's Channel Lock brand they call them tongue and groove pliers, which used to just be universally known as channel lock

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...608+1085303389

You can't get the arm holder really tight using a screwdriver from the top, and you will marr then arm holder trying to, and possibly slip and do something much worse to the top. [of course Glen will tell you different]. I prefer the safe method which guarantees it'll be the only time you'll ever have to do it
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 06:04 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
if you're sloppy or in doubt, then remove the trem.

I've done this 17 years now w/o slipping ... glen

ps - you don't tighten w/ the screwdriver (as rich is implying)... you tighten from below, w/ the socket wrench simply using the flat screwdriver to keep counterpressure. idiotproof is what i'd call it
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 06:27 PM
Vendor

When the holder itself is loose it itself needs to be tightened before the nut is tightened. If you're not tightening the holder first then it'll never be tight and no wonder you've been doing it for 17 years
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 07:17 PM
site founder 0% owner

thanks captain obvious.

you lightly screw the arm holder into the baseplate where only a total klutz would scrape/scratch/slip... just snug (not with powertools). the holder is held firm w/ pressure from the nut below (which gets tightened)... glen
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Vendor

Repeating, if you don't **tighten** the holder first it will never be/stay *tight*
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 09:57 PM
site founder 0% owner

your reading comprehension is at a low point today ...glen
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
... just snug
Actually it would be yours, snug is not tight
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 11:03 PM
site founder 0% owner

snug is not loose...

Main Entry: 1snug
Pronunciation: 'sn&g
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): snugged; snug·ging
Etymology: 2snug
intransitive senses : SNUGGLE
transitive senses
1 : to cause to fit closely
2 : to make snug
3 : HIDE
4 : to secure by fastening or lashing down
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 12:18 AM
Vendor

snug is also not TIGHT. If it's not tight it will eventualy work loose again. Maybe not for you since you've preferred hardtails over floaters for how long now. But serious whammy users will loosen that holder back up again if it's not TIGHT to begin with, especially if they like a stiff bar!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 05:08 AM

Hehehehehehe, you two are so funny
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 09:16 AM

A search at www.dictionary.com
Synonyms for snug: close, comfortable, comfy, compact, convenient, cushy, easeful, easy, homelike, homely, intimate, neat, restful, sheltered, soft, substantial, tight, trim, warm, well-off.

Sorry had nothing to do Rich.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al M
Hehehehehehe, you two are so funny
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 12:42 PM

I'm so "Vai-olent" with my trem no matter how "snug" or "tight" or what method I use to tighten it (I use both depending on if I feel like taking the time to pull the trem or not), it still comes loose.

I've resorted to Loc-tite, keeps the thing solid and still easy to remove if needed.

I almost Krazy-Glued the thing once I was so frustrated, but common sense kicked in . . . if I did that I'd be buying a whole new bridge instead of an arm holder if the holder ever breaks.

Mic
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
ddk

AHHHHHHHHH DAAAAAAAAMMMMNNNNN

hey guys,

thanks for the tips! although it sounds like there isn't a clear consensus as to which method is best.

i have another problem.

i removed the trem and tried tightening the nut. but in an attempt to make it REALLY tight, i twisted the arm holder clear off. so now it is in two pieces. DON'T LAUGH!!

how much does this part cost to replace? and HOW do i replace it?

please help! Thank you!

Tags
arm holder , edge trem , edge trems , ibanez guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode