Help with Trem Cavity Cover... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Help with Trem Cavity Cover...

Guys,
I really need some help here...

Recently, I have purchased a Gotoh Licensed Floyd Rose tremolo (DAMN FINE TREM!) to replace my Ibanez Edge tremolo in my 2002 S Series S520EX. I bought the wrong block size and now the tremolo cavity cover will not cover up properly because about 1 cm of the trem is sticking out.

Returning the Gotoh trem to the USA will be too costly for me (I live in Singapore) and I really like the super sustain the huge block gives me so I would like to keep the trem.

Do you know of anyone who can build a trem cavity cover with a potruding hump to accomondate the trem block?

Cheerio!
Daniel

(Edit: Just had a look at my guitar again and realised the trem is actually protruding 1.5 cm - 2 cm )

Last edited by Shredcows; 04-20-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 12:09 PM

Re: Help with Trem Cavity Cover...

I usually leave the cover off, so if it were me, I wouldn't worry about it.

Even if the cover had a hump in it, when you used the trem, it would hit the hump. If it's only a sticking out a little bit, you could try using the existing cover, but put some kind of spacer on the end of it. Does that make sense?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

I can't leave the cover off because my body would touch the trem (since its sticking out) and the whole thing will go out of tune.

Well, I want the cover to have a wider hump... and anyway, the trem end would move in a circle, so it should not hit the hump.

I've already tried to put longer screws and add nuts as spacers... but well, its uncomfortable...
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 12:29 PM

If possible you could raise the trem and shim the neck, so the trem sits higher in/on the body and still keep the same action across the fretboard.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

That would mean I'd have to add up to 1.5 cm of shims to get the trem in proper place... I don't think I should do that man... That would make it real hard to play on the higher frets.

Last edited by Shredcows; 04-20-2005 at 01:11 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 01:22 PM

Not sure what else you could do, without making a sacrifice of some sort.

Wait, I know! On www.projectguitar.com, there is a tutorial on making your own cavity covers. Just make it so it fits the way you'd like!

Can I ask where you bought the Gotoh from?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm going to have to do that, make my own back cover... then bend it to the required shape...

I got the gotoh from Internet Music Supply. They have very very good prices but they might not have the gotoh with the shorter block (emailed them abt it). I'd be posting pics one the whole guitar has been done up.

Tags
cavity cover , edge trem , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremolo , ibanez edge trem , ibanez edge tremolo , trem block , tremolo cavity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode