help with truss rod: trying to loosen, but the nut FALLS OFF - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
ddk

help with truss rod: trying to loosen, but the nut FALLS OFF

Hi everyone,

I am having some trouble with the truss rod on my gibson LP goth studio. The truss rod needs loosening, but it won't go any further because the NUT FALLS OFF. WTF?! I've never encountered this problem before. I'm not putting any unusually low tension on the neck or anything... I'm stringing with 11-52s and tuning down a whole step. If anything, I would think that this would exert MORE tension on the neck than the factory installed 9-42s in standard tuning, and the truss would need TIGHTENING. Which makes me wonder if something is wrong with my guitar? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 05:35 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
tune up to std tuning & let it set several days. if that fails, you'll need to have your neck relief set by a luthier w/ clamps over several days time (and then fret adjustment).

also get the axe in a climate-free environment... the heat/humidity will effect this dramatically... glen
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
ddk

thank you for the quick reply! i will give the tuning up a try... leaving it that way for a few days is sometimes enough to make the neck curve in the other direction?

in the case that this doesn't correct the problem, how much can I expect to pay to have it professionally done?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 06:04 PM

On a Les Paul neck I would actually suggest tuning it up a couple steps above normal pitch and leave it sit a few days, they are huge thick necks. If that doesn't work then as glen said you will have to have a luthier look at it. Les Paul necks are difficult for a few reasons. First they are very thick, it's tough to force them safely, second, the finish used Gibsons is very soft, it will need to be buffed out afterwards probably, and last, being a set neck is going to make it harder as well.

The cost could be anywhere as low as $50 is all it takes is some pressure and force to bring it back, to a significant amount if the back bow is bad enough. In a worst case scenario the frets would need to be removed and the fretboard re-levelled then refretted. I would figure you'd be looking at around $450 to $550 for that job.

If you tune it up a few steps above pitch, you'll probably need to leave it sit for at least a week by the way, it will take some patience. For what it's worth though, I've never had a neck come through the shop that I couldn't get rid of the back bow by bending it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
ddk

thank you for the information. i will give this a try!

Tags
les paul , neck relief , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode