help with tubes - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

help with tubes

Hi,
The tubes in my marshall 6100Lm have gone, not the pre-amps. could anyone give some advice on what tubes to buy and any sites where i can buy them from.

Thanks Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 10:45 AM

Reviews: 1
And the can was opened...

I like Sovteks, and I like J.J. Tesla. I run them in my Mesa gear and have no complaints.
I played a Fender Twin with Electro Harmonix tubes that sounded fine as well.

You can try http://www.partsexpress.com or http://www.eurotubes.com

There are a LOT of opinions about which tubes sound best, but the frequency at which people change their tubes doesn't normally give them a chance to compare. When you need to change them, it is due to them sounding like crap, so when you drop a new set in, it's like magic.

At any rate, both sites give comparisons of brands so you can make your own opinion.

Have fun !

Bamm
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 01:49 PM

I've got JJs in my blue 6100 head, and they kick quite a bit of a$$.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 03:19 PM

I have JJ/testla (www.eurotubes.com) in my "black" 6100 head....
and it's sound perfect (better than the original ones).

I have also retubed my tbr1-sl with some jj (Sorry Paul, forgive me )and i am very happy with the tone.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I've got JJs in my blue 6100 head, and they kick quite a bit of a$$.
Do you also have JJ preamp tubes?

I just got a 6100 with 5881's, but will be switching to JJ EL34's.......should i also change my preamp tubes to JJ?? And if i do change them(preamp tubes), can i just install the new ones, or do i need to get it modded to fit the JJ's preamps??

I already know i need to "mod" (well not me, but the tech!) for the power tubes
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

i like the look of the J.J's, but im still unsure about the different types. i Currently have 5881/6l6wgc sovtek tubes. so do i have to get the 6L6GC tubes. Sorry for being so stupid!

Mike
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer2
should i also change my preamp tubes to JJ?? And if i do change them(preamp tubes), can i just install the new ones, or do i need to get it modded to fit the JJ's preamps??
If you use the same type of tube (most probably ECC83/12AX7) changing brands requires no mods.

Personally I like the 'european'/Harma STR valves they sound really like the old mullards but without the NOS price

THe EH and JJ are quite similar in sound. But most people prefer the thicker sound of JJs.

Tags
electro harmonix , fender twin , preamp tube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode