HELP! UV777 Inlays problem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

HELP! UV777 Inlays problem

i noticed earlier today,the glue thing inbetween the two sides of the inlays (it's not flat like usual) raises, it's on the 3rd,5th and 7th frets. as for the rests of the inlays,the glue thing on the sides are also raises. is there any way i can fix this myself?

i will post the image once i'm allowed to post images
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Re: HELP! UV777 Inlays problem

the glue thing inbetween the two sides of the inlays (it's not flat like usual) raises = the inlays are somehow "separated"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

anyone? halpp
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:36 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

it's 8am EST... wait a few hours until people in the USA wake up!

After you take a breath, we need photos & more info though. Remember the inlays simply glue to the (maple) neck between (pyramid shaped) cutouts in the rosewood fretboard (which is also glued to the neck).

The inlays at 3/5/7 have risen above the fretboard? Or did the glue seep up and rise above the fretboard & inlay? You sure this wasn't always like this?

It sounds like the fretboard shrunk a little... are the fret ends further from the edge? This is sorta normal but in extreme shrinkage typically exacerbated by storage in dry heat.

Was the guitar subjected to prolonged heat? It's less likely that the inlays have shifted (become temporarily unglued, unlevel then re-glued) but this can happen due to heat or chemical exposure (unlikely).

The inlays can't magically rise. Determine if the fretboard shrunk. Humidify the guitar for a few days before doing anything further... glen
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
it's 8am EST... wait a few hours until people in the USA wake up!

After you take a breath, we need photos & more info though. Remember the inlays simply glue to the (maple) neck between (pyramid shaped) cutouts in the rosewood fretboard (which is also glued to the neck).

The inlays at 3/5/7 have risen above the fretboard? Or did the glue seep up and rise above the fretboard & inlay? You sure this wasn't always like this?

It sounds like the fretboard shrunk a little... are the fret ends further from the edge? This is sorta normal but in extreme shrinkage typically exacerbated by storage in dry heat.

Was the guitar subjected to prolonged heat? It's less likely that the inlays have shifted (become temporarily unglued, unlevel then re-glued) but this can happen due to heat or chemical exposure (unlikely).

The inlays can't magically rise. Determine if the fretboard shrunk. Humidify the guitar for a few days before doing anything further... glen
sorry,i forgot about the time zone heehee and thanks so much for the reply

few days ago, i over turned the truss rod too much and accidentally made a back bow on the neck... and since then i noticed the glue between the sides of the pyramid has already popped out. especially the 5th fret pyramid and now there's a "line" on the pyramid. the inlay doesnt pop out but the "line" ..maybe the glue seeped up?

i also remembered i once kept the guitar in its case under my living room window for months and when i opened up the case..the guitar was freaking hot..but still,the inlays appears to be okay and flat..and that was 2 years ago

the fret ends looks fine to me..i attach the pic on the next post (6th posts). it's the 5th fret. and how do you humidify a guitar? i never done that before
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

http://s103.photobucket.com/user/dav...1.jpg.html?o=0

damn
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:19 AM
site founder 0% owner

live & learn.

Is there a gap in that inlay (between the 2 sides of the pyramid) or is it what it looks like... glue that seeped up between the new gap?

Not the greatest photo but what you said makes more sense now. The fretboard doesn't look like it dried & shrunk (look at the fret ends not overhanging the fretboard) which is good. But you putting too much force on the neck/fretboard with the abrupt & excessive truss rod change created a lot of pressure directly behind the frets/inlays effected.

It's summertime & warm enough to where the inlay shifted but remained fixed. I'd recommend you leave it alone. Someone with some skills could use a razor or safer yet credit card like plastic and "scrape/trim" the excessive glue that seeped up (without running the plastic inlay).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
live & learn.

Is there a gap in that inlay (between the 2 sides of the pyramid) or is it what it looks like... glue that seeped up between the new gap?

Not the greatest photo but what you said makes more sense now. The fretboard doesn't look like it dried & shrunk (look at the fret ends not overhanging the fretboard) which is good. But you putting too much force on the neck/fretboard with the abrupt & excessive truss rod change created a lot of pressure directly behind the frets/inlays effected.

It's summertime & warm enough to where the inlay shifted but remained fixed. I'd recommend you leave it alone. Someone with some skills could use a razor or safer yet credit card like plastic and "scrape/trim" the excessive glue that seeped up (without running the plastic inlay).
i already trim the excessive seep up glue and now there's a gap.i can definitely put the tip of my nail inside. is there any way i can put the 2 sides of the pyramid back to it's place again?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:35 AM
site founder 0% owner

Moisture & heat can soften the glue. heat it with a hair dryer (or heat gun) to melt/loosen the glue then move the inlays. Masking tape the top after moving until the glue cures.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Moisture & heat can soften the glue. heat it with a hair dryer (or heat gun) to melt/loosen the glue then move the inlays. Masking tape the top after moving until the glue cures.
thank you very much for the tip. i will do that tomorrow. and btw,is it okay to put heat on the inlay? i mean,will it damaged the fretboard? will the remaining glue on the fretboard enough to hold the inlay? or should i add a bit of wood glue?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:57 AM
site founder 0% owner

hair dryer is safe (won't melt the inlay or damage the wood). I'm not 100% certain what type of glue is used by Ibanez. Another option is to fill the gap with white sparkly inlay filler

Tags
uv777 inlays pyramid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode