Help with ZR trem adjustments. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Help with ZR trem adjustments.

I just recently bought a used S-470. It's my first experience with a ZR trem. If I understand correctly, the trem block should be resting against the resistance bar at all times. Like this:

However, when I adjust it to just barely rest against that bar, the bridge is sticking up too high. Like this:

If I make the adjustment to pull the bridge more flush with the body, there's a gap of about 3/16" between the bar and bridge block.

It's as if the block should be 3/16" further back from where it sits (or the bar further forward). Am I missing something here? Is there and adjustment that I'm not seeing? Am I not understanding how the ZR works? This kinda has me stumped at the moment.

Last edited by Jah Soldier; 09-01-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Banned

deftoon

I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are not right I am assured I can prove it Write to me in PM, we will talk

download moviedvd info/category/download-dvd-rip-movie/]Best download site movies
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Re: Help with ZR trem adjustments.

OK.. Nobody huh? I'm just gonna forget about the bar altogether, pull it out, adjust to my liking, and consider the ZR a flawed system. It's kind of a weak idea anyway. I have other guitars that have the older FRs and I really never had a tuning problem with them. I was looking forward to giving it a chance, but now I just think it's a wheel that didn't need to be reinvented.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 05:23 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Soldier View Post
OK.. Nobody huh?
It had been less than 24 hours since your first post. Not many are going to be flooding the thread, as not as many people have this system as the older ones. Besides:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/zr...olo-48897.html

There's a nifty little SEARCH feature at the top of every page...

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 07:45 AM

Take the stop bar out then adjust your trem, when it is level (zero point) then you can install the stop bar back in and it should be fine, if not, just remove the stop bar. I prefere the trem without the stop bar.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
It had been less than 24 hours since your first post. Not many are going to be flooding the thread, as not as many people have this system as the older ones. Besides:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/zr...olo-48897.html

There's a nifty little SEARCH feature at the top of every page...
Thanks Alaskabat. I actually did do a search and in fact even read that exact post before signing up to the forum. But it didn't really touch on this particular problem. The problem is, when I adjusted the trem to be as level as the trem on the guitar in that post, the block didn't touch the bar at all. There was a gap of about 3/16. So the ZR feature is useless on my guitar.

Anyway, sorry for the impatience, but I just don't want the guitar sitting around waiting for a reply for a week or so. I wanna play it. I'm pretty good at FR setups, and given this circumstance, I don't see a way to rectify this without doing a mod of some kind.

Maybe later on, when it needs a string change, I might take the bridge apart and give it a more in-depth analysis. I find it a little hard to believe that it made it out of the factory like this.

If someone still wants to chime in, that's cool. Maybe they can shed their insight if they had a similar problem. But I pretty much did what Dangerous Rob suggested and opted for it to be full floating for now.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 02:23 PM

Reviews: 2

Hi Jah,

I don't know much at all about the ZR trem...but it looks to me that the pads I circled may be the place to find your answer. It looks like they're adjustable (forward and back) on the rail. I don't know if the screws are in the wood or merely putting pressure on it....but it's worth looking into further.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Vendor

Setup with ZPS has nothing to do with setup without. The angle of the trem with the ZPS bar in depends on where the rout is in the back, and they will all setup a little different.

ZPS in, the bar touches the block at rest. When you dive the bar moves instantly with the trem, when you pull up, the bar doesn't move. That's ZPS in.

ZPS out you can actually set it up any way you want, it's ball bearing and not knife edge. But for consistent setups of course it's best to have a constant reference point and perfectly flat would be what I'd do.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the responses.

RGT Fanatic, it really doesn't adjust. It's fixed. At this point, my best guess would be that the posts holding the bridge in place are either bent or have shifted forward somehow.

The guitar plays fine as a floater, I guess I was just hoping to try out the technology as it was intended. But with this guitar in the state the bridge is in now, it doesn't seem possible without a modded fix. And from what I can see, it would involve moving the whole bridge backward, or applying a piece to the block so that it does rest on the bar. But it just doesn't seem worth the time or effort at this point for such a menial function.

I mainly wanted to ask the question in case someone had run across this before. I want to thank you and Rob for understanding the question and giving your insights.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 06:49 PM

Hey. I have the same problem !! You could fix it? How come? I think the entire system (excluding the bridge) is installed background.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 04:23 PM

I already solved the problem. The entire system (excluding the bridge) is installed background. So I unscrewed the ZR system. And I moved forward, considering that the bar touches the block and screw it back pressure. Now the bar touches the block and the system works perfectly.

Tags
bridge , tremolo , zero resistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode