Herc Fede ? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Herc Fede ?

i need to to color up my RG7620 BK. i've heard Herc is THE man to do so. how can i contact him. is he still in this business? if not then can u suggest anyone else ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 02:22 PM

Re: Herc Fede ?

Herc is no longer doing finish work.

If it's a swirl you're looking for, check out About Time Designs, who did the original swirls for Ibanez, including the Universe multicolors and the PMC, GMC and DNA model JEMs.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

^^
Too Costly !!!
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 03:28 PM

Email ATD you might be able to work something out!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadeth
^^
Too Costly !!!

The only guys who say that are the ones that have never seen ATD's work. You won't find better, and if you knew what the material cost was, you would never question the price, trust me. People think we're all raking in big bucks doing paint on guitars, but neither Darren or I live in the house on the hill or anything, paint on guitars works out to McDonalds wages, $450 for a swirl is cheap, and you get the best when you go with ATD.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

^^
sorry...i did not know that. my guitar is already black..will i need to add black boloe in the 4 colours or i can get 4 other colors and get this black be there? i am not sure how these guyz work. just asking.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 07:39 PM

it will need to be snded down dispite which color it currently is.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koss
it will need to be snded down dispite which color it currently is.
Yes, it needs to have a white basecoat (not including clear coats) for the colors to show correctly.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 11:22 AM
dex

Yeah, the work that goes into a swirl is worth the $450 alone....
Keep in mind that to swirl you need a lot more paint that just spraying a guitar would take, you need a shop, a drying booth/oven, a spraying booth for the clear, the sanding and re-applying of clear (up to 10 coats for deep mirrory look) and then buffing takes over 10 hours spread over couple of weeks.
I seriously can't figure out how does Darren manage to make enough money to survive never mind to live well.
Same goes for Jeremy, being in a very labour intensive business where the skills have to be built up over a number of years thus preventing you from employng cost effective helpers - I'd bet anything that Darren and Jeremy (and Eddie when it comes to it) work longer hours than most of us here........
If you want a swirl done right and are not prepared to invest the time and effort to have a go yourself, Darren is your only choice....keep in mind that he'll email you a pic after the swirl and if you don't like it he'll re-swirl it for you.

ilia
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Herc is no longer doing finish work.
I thought that Herc was recovering and might be starting up again or is he just finishing up the guitars he has lying around.

Regards

André

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 01:21 PM

As far as I know he is just finishing up the guitars he has, I don't THINK he's doing any more afterwards. I've been waiting 15 months for my guitar to come back to me and hopefully it will be back this month, he's not very well at all it's not supprising it takes so long.

I couldn't decide between Herc and ATD because they both do amazing work and for what I wanted done (and I don't know if ATD have changed their pricing) there was hardly any differance in price, if I remember rightly Herc was about $20 cheaper so it's nothing.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Ibanez endorsed

yup $450 aint bad for a paint job done right. I think I paid Herc around that to do my glow in the dark big faces Donnie replica. I am paying BC Guitars $500 to do a rainforest paintjob right now on another JS1. I cant wait though, I am having Christopher Woods take it after that and put green LED's in the fretboard with fibre optic lighting to the side dot markers so they glow too. It will be sweet when its all done!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 07:39 PM

holy revived thread batman!!!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 11:23 AM

Does anyone have an opinion on the Jem style bodies Herc uses for some of his swirl jobs? As in who makes them and whats the quality like?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkbeatty View Post
yup $450 aint bad for a paint job done right. I think I paid Herc around that to do my glow in the dark big faces Donnie replica. I am paying BC Guitars $500 to do a rainforest paintjob right now on another JS1. I cant wait though, I am having Christopher Woods take it after that and put green LED's in the fretboard with fibre optic lighting to the side dot markers so they glow too. It will be sweet when its all done!
Wow, only $500 for a BC rainforest? Suddenly that is a very intriguing idea. Especially with the fern fretboard inlay idea I heard the other day ...

Tags
christopher woods , clear coat , darren wilson , richard fay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode