Hey Glen! USRG10 tips ! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Hey Glen! USRG10 tips !

Haloo!
Well Glen, we all know that you're a bit of a setup junkie, and that you have a GORGEOUS USRG10. Surely you have the thing playing like a God by now, so...
What are some setup tips that you can give some fellow USRG10 owners like myself? There doesn't seem to be much discussion on how to set one of these beasts { or any other fixed-bridge guitar } up. I'm sure you could do us all a favour and drop some tips !
And more pictures, too!!!!!
By the way, where the heck did yours from? What kind of price did you have to pay, considering the super-rare finish?
Thanks a bunch!
---Ben---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

c'mon Glen, we're waiting !
Ben
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 01:04 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
I picked that up in the classifieds here on the forum last year for around $700 I believe. These were about $750-800 brand new in '96 but that color was something i have not seen on the USRGs before .

The setup of the USRG10 is pretty much the same setup posted in the Jemsite TECH SETUP area... minus the part that deals with the trem angle. You need to work thru all the steps in the same order. I find the USRG10 is very simple to setup, but like all guitars, takes some trial and error to get to your liking. If you have any specific questions lemme know ...glen
post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, not a bad price !
i got mine off of Ebay for about $425. There was a thread on the forum that was started about it in the buy/sell talk section. Of course, mine was stamped as a 2nd, but i still have no clue why... the finish is a little inconsistant, but that's all that i can see { or feel ! }...
Anyway, i love the guitar, it's amazing, and everybody that plays it falls in love with it ! I do, however, think it could play better...
My Project:Kermit guitar is #1 on my things to do list, though, so i won't bother with messing with my USRG for a while! But i'll have to take you up on your offer for help sometime soon!
Thanks a bunch!
{[(Ben)]}
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 03:22 AM

It should be almost identical to setting up a strat. Really easy to do in fact and remember to set the saddles up in a curve . I feel this keeps that jumping over a fence feel from happening.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
It should be almost identical to setting up a strat. Really easy to do in fact and remember to set the saddles up in a curve . I feel this keeps that jumping over a fence feel from happening.
Umm, i don't quite understand what you mean about setting the saddles up in a curve; Do you mean regarding string height? Or the actual intonation settings? And which way should the curve go, with the high point in the middle, or at the edges? And what do you mean by ' jumping over a fence feel ' ? I'm sorry about all the dumb questions, it's just that guitar tech and setup work is very fascinating and fun to me, so i want to know how to do everything EXACTLY right!
By the way Sniper, thanks again ! You ALWAYS try to help me out!!! I really really appreciate it !
--+Ben+--
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 07:51 PM

yeah the curve is height-wise, so the bridge radius matches that of the fretboard.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 11:02 PM

Just what caprile said and I will elaborate a little further as well. What I mean by jumping over a fence feel, Ive often played several nice strats that had extremely low action, but since they were setup as low as possible as opposed to setup around the radius of the fretboard, sweeps and things had the feel of jumping over a string since some were way out of whack with others. Basically we are turning something as simple as a big mac into rocket science. Its curved, the lowest being the e strings, highest being the G and D strings
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 11:09 PM
site founder 0% owner

adjusting height of the saddles...

after full setup, get a feeler gauge and take the measurement of the distance from absolute top of fret 12 (or 24) and the absolute bottom of the low E-string. This assumes the low E is not buzzing and is set at optimal height.

Ideally, you would want close to the same measurement of clearance between all strings, as this will radius the bridge to match the fretboard. Of course, the thicker strings will be a bit further on the pick side off the board but the radius will be the same.

Tweak individual string height as needed. There is alot of room to play here, unlike the trems... glne
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Hey Glen,
Could you please answer the questions i e-mailed you? Did you get my e-mail? I'd really appreciate it! I know i can get this thing playing better...
Please help,
Ben
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 09:10 PM
site founder 0% owner

Hi, could you repost it here... i'm not seeing any email... glen
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response, Glen !

Here's the mail i sent you :

Hey Glen, how are you?
This is Jupiter from Jemsite, and i was writing you to ask some USRG10 questions; my girlfriend is out of town, and i have some free time ! : )
Okay, here's my assessment of how the guitar is set up right now : everybody that plays it loves it, but i think it could be better ... here's the problems...
The open strings buzz a bit, epecially the low E. Because of the odd nut design, i'm stumped as for how to raise the action of the first fret just a little. In the upper area of the neck {starting at about the 9th fret, and on up to the 24th }, the action is a bit high; i don't have any feeler gauges, so i can't tell you exactly how high, but trust me, it could definitely be lower! Would perhaps a neck shim help? How would i go about doing that? So basically, i need higher action low on the neck, and lower action high on the neck!
Please help!
Thanks!
Ben
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 10:11 AM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter
The open strings buzz a bit, epecially the low E. Because of the odd nut design, i'm stumped as for how to raise the action of the first fret just a little.
Ouch. i'll check out mine tonight, but it's likely you'll have to remove the nut, shim and reglue... otherwise replace the nut completely and refile the slots to the proper height.

Quote:
In the upper area of the neck {starting at about the 9th fret, and on up to the 24th}, the action is a bit high; i don't have any feeler gauges, so i can't tell you exactly how high, but trust me, it could definitely be lower! Would perhaps a neck shim help? How would i go about doing that? So basically, i need higher action low on the neck, and lower action high on the neck!
Did you try to lower the saddle height? If the action is still too high up the neck, you'll need to shim according to the TECH SETUP area (body side of the neck pocket). When you do this, the nut (fret-1 buzz) will worsen. Giving more neck bow/relief will help, but will effect action other than fret-1.

You really need to do a full setup, from start to finish, just eliminating the tremolo steps that are not necessary w/ the hardtail. The difficulty of easily rasing/adjusting the nut is one obstacle... glen
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

-------Ouch. i'll check out mine tonight, but it's likely you'll have to remove the nut, shim and reglue... otherwise replace the nut completely and refile the slots to the proper height. --------

Ouch is right ! Fudge, where do you even GET a new nut for one of these????? Do i have to get it from Bunker? I've done things before like slide a little piece of paper in the low E slot of the nut to raise it up a bit, and it actually cured it. However, it did slightly muffle the sound, and on this nice of a guitar, it just seems stupid to have paper in the nut, you know?
Anyway, i'll try lowering the saddles and see if that helps. Thanks for the tips, keep them coming, and wich me luck!!!!!!!!
Ben
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Hello again!
Well, i messed with the saddle height a bit last night, and it actually helped out a lot! Thanks for the tip! I still haven't gotten them ' radiused' right, but i'll tinker with it some more. Of course, the open-string buzz is still there. It buzzes minorly on the A and D strings, but worst of all on the low E... i went back to the 'ol paper in the nut trick, and sure enough, it fixed it. I was thinking, if there was some kind of substance i could put in the nut that would be hard enough to endure the wear... hmm...
Could i possibly fill the low E slot with JB Weld or something, and re-file it to where i need it? I could maybe even fill it with super glue or something. Of course, i'd tape off the ENTiRE guitar for this, too!!!
Bad ideas???
Oh, and did you ever come up with anything, Glen?
thanks,
Ben
Closed Thread

Tags
guitar tech , ibanez dealer , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , locking nut , neck bow , neck shim , nut height

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

tips where how to use Boss Ns-2
snare eq tips
tips on how to nut

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode