HI, new guy here with a RG350 set up question. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

HI, new guy here with a RG350 set up question.

Hey guys new guy here.
I've just picked up a used rg350mdx impulse buy forsure.
Well I been up and down this site and youtube for video and info
but not one person has uploaded a video(s) specifically using an
Edge "bloody" 3.
Oh yeah guitar tech said you guys are all crazy and dont know what your
doing yada yada yada. You can fill in the blanks too, if you know what I mean.

The action in this guitar was completely angled rearward. I tried over and over to get it somewhat right but not exactly sure.
Would someone with a 350 sporting a edge 3 post a pick if one is available how their bridge looks installed?
In the mean time I took a couple of photos, would love someone to look at them and hopefully get me going in the right direction.

Ok so it seem I cant post photos humm, that sucks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:56 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: HI, new guy here with a RG350 set up question.

ouch, yeah, don't use that tech. hey, at the banner up top of the page, check out the page "ibanez rules" once there, check out the tech section, there is something usefull in all of the pages, but it should be easy to find what you need to find out there.

Welcome to jemsite!!!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome!
I looked over the site on the weekend and a bit embarrased because the explanation he uses with reguards to setting the bridge is confusing to me because Im a newbie guitarist. I just started playing.
I did manage through trial and error to get the bridge with a slight angle (higher at the back) and strings in tune. Had to intonate a few strings afterwards too.
Im not sure if the bridge is sitting high or not, and at the right angle.

Could someone direct me as too where I can find pickup heights?

The guitar tech was no help, he just wanted $75 to set it up. Said you guys dont know and Ibanez is wrong too. To be honest if I need to put $75 into this on top of what I paid I should have just bought a new one for a bit more. Just fustrated thats all.

Now if I can take a colored pill and wake up a player I would be estatic. LOL
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:21 PM

Reviews: 13

Ok, first off don't listen to that tech, he is full of sh**. The people here are amazing, and rich's website is easily one of the most valuable tools to any guitarist. Let the people here help you out, you will be glad trust me.

Now for your guitar, you need to loosen the strings just a bit, then tighten the springs in the back, this will take some trial and error, but once you have the trem sitting at a slight angle you got it, check rich's page for trem angle on that one. http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm your trem will have to be setup like the Edge/Lo pro.

Don't spend the money on this guy for his setup, he will probably do it wrong anyway. Doing it yourself allows for more personal tweaking and its a learning experience.

Personally i wouldn't go to that tech just because of what he said about the jemsite community and Ibanez.

Last edited by DownHomeRock; 11-21-2011 at 09:26 PM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:27 PM

Reviews: 13

Welcome to jemsite by the way
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:32 PM

techs usually will tell you what and how they're gonna work on your instrument... it doesn't sound like that tech you're going to is very honest, then again, he's prolly just scared that you might never go back if you knew how to tweak your guitar.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I refed it prior and just now. If the knife edge is the part that contacts the two posts at the leading edge of the bridge then I think im almost there if not already there.
Ive been surfing here for a while and finaly decided to join plus I got to ask thousands of people vs just one. I hope the rest of the set up can go well too.

Should the truss rod be adjusted prior of after your bridge is close. Seems like there is alot of tail chasing when your green.

Guys in TO could easily guess where I went for this tech.

Pretty cool site.

Hopefully within the next two decades Ill be able to play a full tune.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

The key is to get the baseplate parallel to the body.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:06 AM

The truss rod is one of the first things I would adjust, just make sure all the strings are in tune. Once it's set, you really shouldn't have to touch it again more than a couple times a year, if that.

For pickup height, I lower all of them first. Then I raise the bridge pickup while playing through an amp. As you raise it, it'll get more powerful. Raise it too much and you'll hear your sustain drop off. When I find the sweet spot, I fret the last fret and set the neck pickup the same distance from the string as the bridge pickup. I always lower the middle pickup as far as it'll go, it just gets in the way of your pick.

EDIT: My trem is actually sitting too low. It's also blocked, so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 11-24-2011 at 10:59 AM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 06:36 AM

If you stuck PM me and I'll get you my phone number.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:37 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
If you stuck PM me and I'll get you my phone number.
This site is full of Great people willing to help!
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the pic. I believe Im a touch higher aft than yours. Ill play with it again latter on today when I get a chance. The swirl looks cool.

Sebastian thanks for the offer. This place rocks.

There is only one negative thing about Jemsite....
I see my wallet becoming a bit lighter.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

I hope you can make out the pics. Ill see if I can take a few more. Its hard with the black on black plus the flash.

Here I just updated it with better pics, thanks for looking!

Last edited by glockdude; 11-22-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: newer pics
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 01:51 PM

Reviews: 2

Looks like a fine job to me man. If you look on the side of the trem, you'll see where the knife plates were pressed into the body. Regardless of the height of the trem, you want these to be parallel with the body......

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I just had too go play with the settings again, but after a couple hours I got the bridge do drop a tad more in the back. I set the truss rod, it was way off.
Then I set the string height for the 1st and 6th string. I had to crank down the bridge to get it to 2.0mm and 1.5mm which inturn sunk the bridge down some more but still at the same angle. In hind sight I could have left the bridge where it was and just lowered it to get my 2.0 and 1.5.
I believe the intonation is just a bit off " I think ". If I lay the guitar on its back like the videos on youtube then try again with it resting vertical the tones change and come closer to what they are supposed to be. I even think with my untrained ear, and not even pluged in that the axe sounds much cleaner and tighter. The fret buzz disappeared to for the most part.

Ill post a couple more pic later tonight when I get a chance. Maybe some will see something I dont.

Thanks

Tags
edge 3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode