High E string action problem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

High E string action problem

Hello,
I have a '03 Jem 7VWH, I changed the strings not long ago and noticed that the E string is a little bit higher than it should be. Nothing dramatic but it's pretty annoying, and as it's supposedly impossible to set the action for each string individually, I don't know what the hell I should do.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 10:46 AM

Get yourself a soda can, wash it out really good and cut it into small bits that will match the shape of the saddles.

Shim the saddles to match, or to whatever is comfortable for you and you're all set.

NOTHING is impossible.

Well, don't try to fly without an airplane. :-)

Mic
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Vendor

Or just buy some saddle shims
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Or just buy some saddle shims
That too, but I think I read that you have the same problem with saddle shims as I do . . . often they are too thick, so I just go right to the soda can shims now. :-)

Mic
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Vendor

To get micro radiused just cut up .1mm nut shims, I'm just lazy

I think his radius is probably far enough off that regular shims would do the most good

Just make sure and check the intonation screw washer isn't under the saddle [if you happened to take it off]
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 02:29 PM

Isn't the saddle height influenced by the fine tuners anymore with the Edge Pros?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Vendor

The saddle insert is in the immoveably nose of the saddle.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texter
Isn't the saddle height influenced by the fine tuners anymore with the Edge Pros?
Um, unless your bridge is sticking so far out of the guitar that the break point of the string is at the lock block in the saddle, and not the string-seat of the saddle, the fine tuners will NEVER effect the action of the guitar.

Never did, never will . . . that's not what they are for.

Granted, they can effect the individual string action ever so slightly depending on how angled your bridge is, but not enough that you could ever notice it, we're talking about thousandths of a mm at that point of the saddle.

Mic
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 12:08 AM

I dunno if this is what they were talking about, but on Edges there is a small washer between the saddle and the top of the intonation/saddle lock screws. If this somehow got placed on the bottom of the saddle, it can cause this effect! Just change strings and check to make sure all your washers are in the right place.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBird31
I dunno if this is what they were talking about, but on Edges there is a small washer between the saddle and the top of the intonation/saddle lock screws. If this somehow got placed on the bottom of the saddle, it can cause this effect! Just change strings and check to make sure all your washers are in the right place.
That's exactly what happened! Thanks a bunch!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 07:33 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich

Just make sure and check the intonation screw washer isn't under the saddle [if you happened to take it off]
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

I missed that part of your post last night. Thanks to all of you anyway. :P
And Rich, your site is really neat man. I've been going there for a while now, and I'm just about to print some of the tech stuff, my guitar won't stay in tune, I could use some of the info that's up there!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic

Granted, they can effect the individual string action ever so slightly depending on how angled your bridge is, but not enough that you could ever notice it, we're talking about thousandths of a mm at that point of the saddle.

Mic
SO WTF DID I MENTION IT? DUH! It might just be a few tenths of a mm max but there's definitely a noticeable difference.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 02:22 PM
Fry

I think he is trying to say that it is not a noticeable difference.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic

Mic
SO WTF DID I MENTION IT? DUH! It might just be a few tenths of a mm max but there's definitely a noticeable difference.
If you can feel one-one thousandth of a millimeter you have the most sensitive touch of any human that's ever lived.

Tags
base plate , edge pros , fretboard radius , nut shim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode