High E string goes flat after bending - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
eg

High E string goes flat after bending

Guys,

The high E string on my RG470 goes flat on the high registers after some string bends. I know its not a trem problem because the other strings are ok. Any idea what to look at? Nutlock slipping or the saddle block slipping?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 05:58 PM

have you figured out the problem? i had the same prob once, and it was the saddle moving forward because the screw had loosened a bit over time. could be the block not grabbing the string properly because it's worn.
eventually the string would pop out if it were the block.

john
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
eg

Nope... haven't figured it out yet. Thought of replacing the nut and the locking pads though.

Any Idea how to find out which is the culprit?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 11:51 AM

There's a simple way to know for sure if it's the nut. with the nut locked, pluck the high E, and as it's ringing, press on the string behind the nut, where the headstock is. if it goes sharp, then the pad isn't locking down properly.
also, check the 2 screws that hold the nut in place. those will loosen up over time.
you can also try to switch the little blocks in the saddle to see if the same happens with another block.
And again, check the screw that holds the saddle, and make sure it's not bottoming out on the guitar body preventing it from screwing down all the way.

John
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
eg

Sounds easy enough to find out. Thanks a lot man.... will try them out later today.

EG
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 03:57 PM

I had the same problem with my old RG but it was so worn out that I didn't try to fix it or buy new parts. I just bought a brand new JS1000 and ...same problem. It went on for 2 weeks...So 5 minutes ago I decided to check this forum, read this thread, check the screws that hold the saddles and sure enough they were a little loose. Now the problem is fixed, thanks everybody !
Nice forum, I'll come back
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 05:35 PM

hey vinccenzzo,
glad we could help. how do you like the js1000? i'm always itching to get one on ebay, but i haven't had the guts to do it yet.

john

Tags
guitar body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode