Hot rodding - Just a hypothetical question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Hot rodding - Just a hypothetical question

I already have a guitar (RG) but say that I didn't have the guitar and I wanted a RG (lets try to keep this limited to the 270 through 570 models since the JEMs *and Prestige models are "superior" guitars). I want the RG to have a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the neck, a Fast Track in the middle, and a Super Distortion in the Bridge. I like the sounds of those pickups and I have my heart set on them and will install them on my next guitar no matter what (we're still hypothetical here though I do like the sound of those pickups). The guitar would have the Edge Trem as a must. Which route would be more feasable: Getting a "lower-end" RG and make the mods + add the edge OR Get a "higher-end RG" and make the mods? Basically either way I will end up with an RG with and edge and those pickups. *What would you do? Pay the extra money for a "higher-end" guitar that you will mod anyway or stick with the "lower-end"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 07:33 AM

Hot rodding

First of all, I agree on the Super Distortion, I've got one and I love the sucker. *Now, back on topic, I'd recommend getting a higher end RG and just adding the pickups. *The reason for this is, as you may have read, the body on the higher end models is a little thicker, they already have an Edge or Lo-Pro (translation: *no routing! YAY!) and the *quality of everything on the guitar is probably a lot better. *Just my Canadian $0.02 (like $0.005 American lol).
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 07:55 AM

Hot rodding

I'd agree with that, I eman, no matter how many spoilers you tack onto a mini, it's still a mini and not a rolls royce. I'd go for the better base to start your project, as you might end up with a body gone wrong if the routing screws up. And as said above you'll get better quality construction.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 12:21 PM

Hot rodding

I'll agree with these guys, too. *The RG570 has an original Wizard neck, which I prefer. *Besides, the difference in price, really isn't that much. *I would hate to have to replace a TRS with an Edge.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Hot rodding

This is really interesting. I wish I had the money to do this. I would buy a 270 + edge + pickups and a 570 + pickups and do some comparing. Anyone ever do that? Also I forgot to add that I would replace the tuners also. That means the only stock hardware (other than the trem if I got the 570) would be the body, neck, locking nut, pickup mounting rings, volume and tone pots, output jack, and 5 way selector. I've played a wizzard and wizzard II neck and I can't really feel the difference. Do the Japanese screw necks into bodies better than the Koreans? Do the Japanese make better volume and tone pots as well as 5 way switches? As for the wood I don't know. Do the Japanese use better basswood? If you think about it, in the end all you get is bragging rights if you got the 570 (since it says it on the back of the headstock). As far as routing is concerned, the edge will fit in a TRS route (well at least it does for my friend's RGs 570 and 320 I know it's different with the JEMs)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Hot rodding

Quote:
Quote: from RG Guy on 8:39 am on July 23, 2001
As for the wood I don't know. Do the Japanese use better basswood?
as far as I kno, the Japanese guitars are made from a slightly higher grade of woods than the Korean ones. That used to be the case, but I can't honestly say whether this still stands these days.

What I do believe is that more care is taken with the finishing of the guitar so that in general yes the necks are better fits to the body, the routs are a little more accurate etc. I personally would pay more to get the little bit of extra peace of mind that everything is going to stay in tune during a gig in the humid summer heat or a freezing winter's band practice
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 02:08 PM

Hot rodding

Your actually talking about a beefer body so to speak when it comes to the higher end RG's as well. If you notice the lower end models have a more rounded edge as far as contour around the bodys.

Plus I never have really been satisfied with the function and look of the jack plate on those lower end models.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 08:44 PM

Hot rodding

I agree... I'd get the 570 and save a lot of fuss and mess. Also like Brian said the jack plates on the less expensive guitars are really lame, too. I have a cheap Yamaha that is a total 'hot-rod' (L-P Edge, Dimarzio's, etc...) and the fact is higher quality guitars just feel better. If you have the money for a 570 get that.

Alden
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 01:41 AM

Hot rodding

Get the 570 and hot-rod it, in the end it'll be about the same $$-wise, and you'll get a better guitar.. I'm kicking myself constantly over my project guitar, because by the time it's done I could've bought a Prestige with the $$ spent...

Look at it this way: (all figures rounded off to a best guess)
RG320 - $400
Edge - $150
Gotoh tuners - $50

Or:
RG570 *- about $600

The korean guitars do use crappier pots/jack/switches than the japanese models.. I've seen the korean pots, they're the little dime-sized ones that burn out in a year or two..

Besides all this, if you routed a 3xx to accept an Edge, and cut deep enough to pull back like the 570, you're gonna end up wanting a re-finish to cover up the mess... There's an incentive for the 570 right there, no paint..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 11:54 AM

Reviews: 5
Hot rodding

I think it's a question of economics sometimes also.

I didn't have $600 to spend on a secondary axe (I've already got a JEM7VWH), so I bought a RG-450 for about $200.00. *I replaced the bridge pickup with a DiMarzio Evolution for free (since I had one sitting around). *I also switched out the LoTRS with an Original Floyd Rose (these can be had for cheap through StewMac or Carvin). *And I'm finishing it with a transparent cherry red over the natural grain.
Guitar $200
OFR *$90
Lacquer, *Stripper, Sanding Paper etc... *$30

total cost: *$320.

Now of course, an OFR is NOT an Edge trem, however it stays in great tune and is a great bridge for performing Van Halen and other shred music. *With the addition of a tremsetter I'll nearly replicate the stability of the LoPro. *Since I'm not a big fan of bar flutters anyway, I don't feel I'm losing much here.

Tags
bridge pickup , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tone zone , edge trem , floyd rose , gotoh tuners , jack plate , korean guitar , locking nut , super distortion , tone zone , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode