How can I make a signature permanent on my guitar? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

How can I make a signature permanent on my guitar?

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a way of making a autograph on a guitar (written w/sharpie) completly permanent.

the sig can be seen here:
http://www.broken-productions.com/yngwie.jpg

Thanks,
Djarumchiefer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 12:47 AM

For his autograph, I hear you can pee on it, and it'll...JUST KIDDING!!! JUST KIDDING!!!

I have actually tried to do this before. My friend Jan has a guitar signed by all the members of Deep Purple. I have been trying to find something to spray to coat it, but everything makes the ink run. Maybe just a clear plastic overlay would suffice...like a piece of clear pickguard material or something. Just remember the glue will probably pull it off if you have to replace it...

The other guys here prolly have other ideas with more success...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 01:04 AM

i would have gotten the sig on the inside of the back plate, it wont get disturbed there
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 07:13 AM

I have some Signatures on my guitar coated with some spray.
It worked fine,... but there are different sorts of sprays. You must try first. Take the pencil and write on something else and test the spray.

It worked fine on my guitar,.. so the signatures of vai, petrucci, morse and Jeniffer Batten will stay long,... (hopefully)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 09:57 AM

I personally would rather go with some clear plastic coating.
Just get a sheet of it, a really thin kind of clingfilm sort. Then just stick it on. Thats how most people do it.

Spraying it will just ruin it and make it look worse, the clear sheet plastic over the top is the way.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 11:59 AM

I'm going to make a long post again

Rich and I found out that some LNG's had a clear coat sprayed over the signature, and it did make it run a little. That was done in PA. Other LNG's were re-cleared. It definitely can be done. I would recommend a polyurethane, although they can yellow with age. On that color guitar you might try a water based polyurethane like minwax polycrylic. I tried it on a flame maple custom I made that had a water based aniline dye. That did NOT cause any reaction with the sharpie I use to line the inside of single coil pickup routs. (I like to make my single coil routs an "abyss" where you can't see anything in there ) There was already a clear coat in the pickup route because I stripped off a crapola finish that some car guy did for me. I didn't bother stripping the inside of the cavities, though, and it was clear acrylic car lacquer. So it went: lacquer-marker-polycrylic, and the only thing that I think happened was the color of the marker turned a little purplish black, but it did not run. By the way, spray cans have a higher degree of solvent in them.

If you decide to use lacquer, it will run for sure. BUT, if you spray a light dusting coat, even with something that is highly reactive to the ink, it should hit the signature "half dry" from the air on its way to the guitar. That helps a ton. If the lacquer hits the signature "wet" it will react for sure. If you spray a light dusting, then wait a day, and repeat for a few days, there should be enough lacquer on there to wetsand and buff. But don't think that because it's okay under there you can now lay a thick, wet coating over it, because the solvents will re-flow the previous coats and run the ink anyways. Each coat has to be light. Good luck.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 03:19 PM

Reviews: 4
Thanks! I was wondering about this after getting my JS & UV signed at G3 a few weeks ago. Good thunking!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 05:06 PM

covering it with clear plastic may still allow it to fade. look at all about EVO, and the les paul signature on the back
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 04:22 PM

I just got my jem 7vwh signed by vai. If I spray it with a dry spray of Acrylic every day for a few days, Id be fine? I just dont want to end up ruining my guitar because i didn't know exactly what to get. Are there any sprays that dont make it fade?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
I would recommend a polyurethane, although they can yellow with age.
If you decide to use lacquer, it will run for sure. BUT, if you spray a light dusting coat, even with something that is highly reactive to the ink, it should hit the signature "half dry" from the air on its way to the guitar. That helps a ton. If the lacquer hits the signature "wet" it will react for sure. If you spray a light dusting, then wait a day, and repeat for a few days, there should be enough lacquer on there to wetsand and buff. But don't think that because it's okay under there you can now lay a thick, wet coating over it, because the solvents will re-flow the previous coats and run the ink anyways. Each coat has to be light. Good luck.

2 Points.

1. Single part crap polyurethane will yellow (ei: minwax or spray bomb stuff) But REAL polyurethane, the 2 part component paints will stay crystal clear forever. However, you have to have spray equipment to apply it as well as proper safety equipment (ventilation masks etc)

2. No matter what you spray, water based, or solvent based, when spraying over a signature, or anything like that, make your first 2 coats dust coats. Not only will it help keep the ink from running, but it lessens the chances of a chemical reaction with the underlying paint. Laquer is a poor choice simply because with every coat it melts the underlying coat and will act as a wet coat unless you have a substantial number of dry coats on first.

Personally, I don't understand getting signatures on guitars you play if you are concerned about it wearing off. And if you do want to play it, I would put a piece of clear sign vinyl over it to protect it. That way should you ever want to remove it for some reason it's not impossible.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 03:34 PM

Do you think theres a place you could take a guitar to have this done for you? Just wondering because im only 15 and go to boarding school. It would be really hard to get all that stuff and find a place to apply it and then id have to do it right. Knowing me, id probably screw it up.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 06:41 PM

(sorry offtopic)
15 and you have a 7vwh!!

i had an encore when i was 15 heh.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 07:17 PM

The best way to get a permanent signature on a guitar is to have the artist sign it WITH A KNIFE!

Sharpie? What were you THINKING?

Tags
clear coat , coil pickup , flame maple , les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode