How can I save an autograph? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

How can I save an autograph?

Hello:

I have a question.

Paul Gilbert signed the back plate of my Ibanez PGM last night. The guitar originally had his autograph on the cavity backplate but half of it faded over the years because that was the only guitar I had, so I used it a lot.

Is it safe to use the product on the picture without messing the autograph; or even worst destroying the back plate? Some kinds of paints react with plastic melting it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:39 PM

Re: How can I save an autograph?

You could try putting some silver sharpie on the other side of the plate then put a little of the spray on. If it goes wonky you won't have damaged the real signature side. Try a couple of light coats too, that usually helps, instead of one thick layer. Alternatively, you could also flip the plate so the signature stays on the inside of the guitar. Congrats on meeting the man by the way! AWE-some!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 PM

Use workable fixatif, it wont react poorly with the plastic. It is designed to preserve artwork (paint, pen, pencil etc.) After you spray that on, maybe spray a little of that clear coat. couldn't hurt. If you are really worried about it, get a new back cover plate for daily use, so it wont rub off.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Vendor

It's a cover, leave it off.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 PM

Reviews: 18

Take both covers off and order replacements from Rich.

Jimmy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:24 PM

Buy this:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...otection/Film/

It's what they use on the JEM EVO. I used it on my LNG.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-19-2014 at 06:53 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodVaibes View Post
You could try putting some silver sharpie on the other side of the plate then put a little of the spray on. If it goes wonky you won't have damaged the real signature side. Try a couple of light coats too, that usually helps, instead of one thick layer. Alternatively, you could also flip the plate so the signature stays on the inside of the guitar. Congrats on meeting the man by the way! AWE-some!
That's a good idea. And I have other guitars now. I don't have to do the experiment with the actual signed back plate.

Thanks, I had been waiting 22 years to meet the man. I finally could scratch that off my bucket list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaple View Post
Use workable fixatif, it wont react poorly with the plastic. It is designed to preserve artwork (paint, pen, pencil etc.) After you spray that on, maybe spray a little of that clear coat. couldn't hurt. If you are really worried about it, get a new back cover plate for daily use, so it wont rub off.
Fixatif... Is that the name of the product? I had never heard of it. I may need to do some googling and research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's a cover, leave it off.
Man, I am borderline OCD. I can't do that to that guitar (or any other as a matter of fact)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Take both covers off and order replacements from Rich.

Jimmy
Another good idea.

Rich, can you get those covers on your shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Buy this:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...otection/Film/

It's what they use on the JEM EVO. I used it on my LNG.

This looks like the easiest way to do it.

Thanks Guys!!!!!

Last edited by Scarified_pr; 02-20-2013 at 12:22 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 AM

Bro, take em off and replace them!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1mman View Post
Bro, take em off and replace them!
Even if I take the plates off, I still need to protect the autograph. I already lost half of one. That is why I had him sign the other one.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 04:47 PM

Reviews: 4

I have guys sign the back of the neck. No chance of rubbage.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 08:56 PM

DUDE!!!!
NEVER PAINT CLEAR ON AN AUTOGRAPH!!!!!

Unless.....

The guitar was sanded down to a spec 'prep grit' and then signed. This way the entire guitar can be clear coated. (*this is the best way as the signature is under the clear). Also it is best if they sign with a paint pen. I have seen instances where signatures melt due to the solvents in the clear. If you attempt to clear just one part, you will have gross transition lines where one clear goes to another clear.....always looks stupid.

If you attempt to clear over an un prepped surface it will not adhere properly and peal, destroying the sig..

The 3m clear film is not the worst idea....BUT....the film itself can get damaged.
-if the film gets damaged you will not be able to remove it without damaging the sig unless you get balls lucky. That being said if the film is cared for it is a very good option.

IMO

A better option is to get a piece of 1/32" lexan plastic and put over the sig. This is very like the the same concept of glass over a painting. Basically it will add a tiny (and I mean tiny, about the thickness of 4 sheets of paper) amount of thickness to the cover and can be retained with the cover screws, and if the same size as the cover, you would never know it was there. If you get it scratched up its only a matter of replacing the thin plastic; the signature and guitar under will be as good as new.

If the sig is in the front again ultra thin lexan or acrylic can be placed over the sig and retained with screws, tiny dabs of silicone adhesive or even clear VHB 2X (<best option). If the protective cover needs to be removed it can be done without damaging the guitar or sig.

Good luck,

~JH

Last edited by worldrecordholder; 02-23-2013 at 09:01 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 10:07 PM

^Listen to that man. Like a bone head, I had my PMC signed by Vai without prepping the surface prior to signing. I prepped the guitar and went around the lines of the signature the best I could and reshot the guitar with more PPG clear. I'm very happy with the end result and got very lucky the sharpie didn't melt.

Tags
autograph , clear coat , ibanez pgm , paul gilbert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode