How can you boost a guitar? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Question How can you boost a guitar?

Hi, I have 2 Dimarzio air classics and a Dimarzio blue velvet single coil (low output) I was wondering, is there any way of boosting my output without changing my pickups or using pedals? See I like to take my guitar to guitar shops and play it through different amps, but it just sounds crunchy even with a mesa triple rectifier up full. I don't wanna be humpin pedals about or changing my sound as I love my tone, I just wanna push it to a higher output, is this possible? Thanks
Regards
Jonny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 05:40 PM

Re: How can you boost a guitar?

Built in boost circuit, similar to the Clapton Strat mid boost?

Why not just put a boost pedal in your gig bag/guitar case? It isn't a lot of kit to carry about. Most guitar shops will probably have one you could borrow anyway.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Could I get a guitar tech to fit me one of those??? Would it change my tone at all???
Thanks
Regards
Jonny
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 01:29 AM

Moving your pickups closer to the strings increases output a bit more, but you can always just shove a booster unit into your guitar. If you're good with a soldering iron and simple electronics, you can build your own mini booster unit. (you can also get higher output pickups like an Air Zone or Tone Zone)

Personally, I would still use a Tubescreamer, SD-1 or some other overdrive pedal into the frontend of my amp. Do note that you can usually mod a cheap distortion/overdrive pedal into a clean(er) boost pedal but swapping out the diodes.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaJonny
Could I get a guitar tech to fit me one of those??? Would it change my tone at all???
Thanks
Regards
Jonny
Yes, and yes. They are dead easy to fit, and they will change the tone a bit - which you may or may not like.

Buy a tubescreamer.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 04:05 PM

try a bbe sonic max or a pickup booster
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 04:22 PM

what's wrong with having a boost pedal? At least with a pedal you can use it with any guitar you have. If you just put a boost circuit on your guitar you can only use it on that guitar. Pretty lame if you ask me.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:33 PM

ya boost pedals can be useful
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:39 PM

Are you sure the pickups are working right?
I had an HS-3 in a strat that barely broke up on a hi gain head and it turned out the pick up was bad.
You may have a loose wire or something.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Next time I'm at my music shop I'll be sure to have it checked out, thanks for your advice everyone!
Regards
Jonny
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

I think theyre ment to be like that, It's ok now though coz I can use my boost pedal, cheers dudes!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 02:18 PM

Did you get a straight up boost pedal or did you modify an overdrive/distortion one?

Tags
bbe sonic , boost pedal , dimarzio air , dimarzio blue velvet , guitar shop , guitar tech , mesa triple rectifier , output pickup , overdrive pedal , tone zone , triple rectifier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode