Ibanez JEM Forum banner

How to clear over enamel paint???

83K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Swirltop 
#1 ·
Two questions...

I`m just wondering how you guys clear over enamel after doing a swirl? I need to know before I decide what paints to use. So far I`m thinking Testors, but I also have some Tremclad mixed to the colours that I like and it worked well on some test pieces.

If I cant clear over oil base enamel such as these paints, do automotive paints work to swirl? I know I wont have trouble with the clear this way. Or is there another option for clear other than automotive? Three questions i guess...

Thanks!

Chops.

#12 ·
not true at all, you can also clear with Lacquer. Just got to mist the first few coats.

painters tip

L. E. A.

Lacquer Enamel Acrylic

you can put Lacquer on Enamel with no issues

you can put Lacquer on Enamel and Acrylic with no issues

you cant put Acrylic or Enamel on Lacquer

etc

best tip anyone has ever given me. LEA remember it..

#14 ·
I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and finally attempt a guitar build this summer. I consult the google for research, and where does it point me? Right back here, where I may have just answered my own question regarding enamel paints . . . two years ago.

Turns out if you search for "enamel paint guitar," well, here we are on the first page of results returned by google.

Laughing and shaking my head at the irony.

#16 ·
Testors are crap for swirls... Humbrols work pretty well, One Shot Flouros work pretty good, but you'll need to experiment with whatever you chose. Do not use Krylon Fusion clear it looks good going on and for a little while after, but the 2 guitars I cleared with it started to flake and crack after about 6 months...

If you don't have a gun Spraymax 2k clear is what you want and 2 cans will build enough for a swirl to come out flat. It can be a little pricey, but if you want good end results don't try to skimp out...

#17 ·
I don't want to do a swirl; I want to mask off areas with tape and use some spray paint to create a graphic image.

I used Testors enamels to build models of cars, ships, rockets, etc. when I was a boy. I've gotten beautiful glossy results with their products. Researching my project I've come across lots of people saying that enamel takes forever to cure. But like I said, painting my models didn't give me that experience. Once a coat dried (couple of hours to days depending on temp. and humidity), it was hard and ready to be sanded and accept the next coat.

So my experience with this paint on models isn't what others are reporting on their project guitars and I'm scratching my head.

#18 ·
I don't want to do a swirl; I want to mask off areas with tape and use some spray paint to create a graphic image.

I used Testors enamels to build models of cars, ships, rockets, etc. when I was a boy. I've gotten beautiful glossy results with their products. Researching my project I've come across lots of people saying that enamel takes forever to cure. But like I said, painting my models didn't give me that experience. Once a coat dried (couple of hours to days depending on temp. and humidity), it was hard and ready to be sanded and accept the next coat.

So my experience with this paint on models isn't what others are reporting on their project guitars and I'm scratching my head.
It has nothing to do with curing, it's that it runs and gobs up when you use it to swirl with. That's different than brushing it on, if you want to use it for what you're talking about, there's no reason why you can't use it and then clear over it with a good 2k clear...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.