How to cover up those boring dots - stupid inlays - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

How to cover up those boring dots - stupid inlays

While some actually perfer the standard dot inlays found on most guitars...I hate them. And much perfer the look of a blank fretboard. Recently, I've been using name labels and filling them in with a black sharpie, then cutting them into little squares and covering the dots that way. It actually works really well and they can't be seen...But over time they do eventually begin to wear and sometimes even peel off while I'm playing which is NOT good...Especially when it curls up and begins to mute my middle C string!!

So untill I can pay the big $$$ to have new blank fretboards put on my guitars, whats the BEST way to cover these dots up?? If I got a rosewood shade of nail polish...Could I carefully paint over the abalone inlays without hurting the fretboard?? I don't think it should be a problem but I'm worried the polish will wear off too...I'd rather something that will really stay. Any more suggestions??

I tried coloring them with a sharpie and that always ends up wiping off within 2 days...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 09:17 AM

How to cover up those boring dots

Don't they sell wood color markers at hardware *stores? I cant remember but a hardware store would be a good place to look.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 08:34 PM

How to cover up those boring dots

The best way would be to get access to a drill press, and CAREFULLY drill out the dot inlays. *Then get some rosewood plugs and glue them in with an epoxy, sand to match the shape of the fretboard and Voila! *If you first make up a batch of rosewood sanding dust, and mix this in with the epoxy, you will have a colour matched filler in case the rosewood plugs don't fit perfectly. *Just make sure you glue in the plugs with the grain running the same as the fretboard or up close it will be fairly noticable.
Jeremy

Tags
abalone inlays , dot inlay , dot inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode