How to determine if a pickup is faulty? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

How to determine if a pickup is faulty?

well, i suspect it's a malfuction of my neck pickup, it is a stock V1..when i switch the selector all the way towards the neck, there's this wuzzy sound, especially the low E, A and D stings.. but if i switch it all the way the other direction, the wuzzy sound is gone..the wuzzy sound is so bad that the tuner cannot even register the note..(i tried it with a bypass too..) is my pick up spoilt or sumthing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 06:19 AM

Re: How to determine if a pickup is faulty?

Does it buzz when you choose the 2nd position of the switch which selects both the neck pickup and the middle one. I assume your guitar has 3 pickups.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

i'm just using stock V1 and V2 pups..i dun have a third one..just 2..
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

no one to offer anymore suggestions? will be greatly appreciated..
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 08:46 AM

The V1 probably is faulty. The way you explained the "buzz" in the neck tells me that it's not working correctly. How to determine if a pickup is faulty, I'm not sure. It could be your guitar cable or amp speakers, not so much the pickup. See if your guitar cable and amp speakers are working correctly. If they are working correctly and you still have a "buzz" sound, I'd recommend getting your pickups (neck and bridge) replaced with new ones. DiMarzio is a good brand for pickups. Seymour Duncan is another good brand for pickups. I really do hope this helps.

Here's the DiMarzio Website

Here's the Seymour Duncan Website
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 08:52 AM
Vendor

I'd try cleaning the switch with contact cleaner before doing anything else.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

realised it only happens when i depress the 3rd fret of the E string and then i pluck the A string simultaneoulsy, the sound goes like "bong bong bong wong wong wong"..and this also happened when i tried my guitar on my friend's amp..the cables and amps are all working correctly..and the selector switch is all the way towards the neck..a point to note is that this dosent happen when i push the selector switch to the other end.. besides that, i adjusted the pickup to the bottom and realised the crazy sound is still there, albeit softer..so is it my pickup? or some other issues?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 07:35 AM

Could be your pickup, quite an unusual one though, or the switch. As Rich suggests, try some contact cleaner. In general, make sure strings dont touch the pickup, check the wiring, and if nothing helps then I guess a new pickup might be what your guitar needs.

Tags
neck pickup , seymour duncan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode