how do i get rid of sandpaper marks - somebody sanded the Ib - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 14
how do i get rid of sandpaper marks - somebody sanded the Ib

I would like to perform this repair myself, if i can.

I just recently bought a UV777GR from a private owner.

Thing is, the dude who owned before he did took great care of the guitar except:

he sanded the "Ibanez Universe" logo off the headstock. It looks like he used 250 grit sandpaper.

So I've got scratches from the sandpaper where the logo used to be.

It looks to me like there is still clearcoat.

What do i use and do to remove these scratches and get it shiny again?

Already have info on how to replace the logo!

Thanks

Robbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 09:00 PM

how do i get rid of sandpaper marks

I would like to know how your going to replace the logo as I might have to do the same pretty soon...

thanks
chris
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 09:03 PM

You'll have to progressively use finer sandpaper until its fairly smooth, then I would guess some kind of buffing compound to get it shiny again.
Im no luthier though, so before you go buying materials, I would wait for others to respond too.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 09:49 PM

You could start at 400 grit and work your way up to 600 wet sanding it than 1000, 1500, I'm not exactly sure the right type of polishing compound to buff it with. When my dad and I built his home theater unit we polished the face of it and that was the progression of papers we used and finally buffing it with the rubbing compound and a coat of car wax Because the finish was so smooth to begin with we didn't have to use the 400 grit.
Hope that helped a little... sorry i don't know the polishing compound to use.

Alden
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 10:54 PM
Vendor

If you're going to sand make absolutely sure you have enough clear thickness. you sure don't want to sand through what's left. After sanding it really need to be machine buffed, any mild polish will do.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 02:59 AM

Your probably going to have to progressivly sand it down to 1500 wet/dry and then buff it out with something like Rain Dance No7 white polishing compound unless you can get your hands on something else for a polishing compound, but before you do here is a couple of cheats I have used in the past that worked well.

One is to take a tooth pick and apply a very small amount of hot glue (the instant type that is clear) into the rough area to help build it back up before you sand and buff it. (note let the hot glue dry for about 30 minutes or more)

Another is to get a small bottle of model paint such as Testor's clear and apply a thin coat over the area. ( note let the paint dry for at least 2-3 hours)

Either of these will fill the lower part of the grooves which have been scratched into the surface and give you something to work with so that you don't end up with a dip in the finish. One other note before you think about it NO nail polish clear is not a good idea because it will only gum up the sand paper and it doesn't dry properly......

* * * * * * * Good luck =o)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 14

Madwell:

Ibzbr left a good idea. He created the Ibanez logo font on the ftp/downloads section here at Jemsite. If you go there, just download the Ibanez font, press the "A" button and that will give you the Ibanez logo. You won't see it until you make the font size Very Large like over size 72. He suggested to get the correct size, go to a local T-shirt or sticker shop and have them make a vinyl sticker for your neck.... then apply!!

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm gonna try the progressive sanding... 600, 1000, 1500... then buff it out with some car wax.

(fingers crossed)

Robbie

looks like poop now... I'll attack it when it's time for a string change!!:beammeup:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 11:01 AM

Yep, wet sand with progressively finer grades. I have a bottle of "Scratch-Out" here at the house which works well for removing pick sractches and the like. I'd say it would probably do a bang-up job on your headstock. I'd then buff the entire headstock out with carnauba wax.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 01:46 PM

For headstocks I use the meguiar's series of compounds. Stew mac used to have them but now I'm not sure if they have private label stuff or not. Auto parts stores are sure to have the meguiar's. The Ibanez finish is so hard that I use the "paint cleaner" one first. It is very aggressive, but the buffing granules break down quickly, so you get a good initial buff without leaving scratches behind from the coarseness of the compound. Then you just go up the ladder until you are at the waxy polish stuff. Unless you do something to stop it, you will have an indentation where your logo was. To fix that, you could fill like Brian said, or you could block sand the whole headstock with 400 first until it all becomes level again. I would put the logo on after sanding with 400 and spray clear coats over it until there was enough to wetsand it flat over the logo. Btw, I just got some clear transfer paper for the printer, I'll try it out in the next month or so.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 05:49 PM

I would also put the logo on and have it cleared. Then when you sand and buff your not going to have a ridge where the logo is, or not as much of one. I doubt the sheen off the logo is going to be quite as high as the your paint, either and it may start to peal after a bit, mind you it's not hard to replace the sticker but you won't have to if you apply a finish over it. It will also give it that factory look :biggrin:

Alden

Tags
clear coat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode