How do I tighten my trem arm? LO-TRS TREM - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

How do I tighten my trem arm? LO-TRS TREM

I just bought my first Ibanez, a RG 7 string.

I have this LO-TRS TREM and the trem arm just pops in (no threading)
I can't figure out how to tighten the arm so it doesn't become loose from usage. (The flutter becomes non existant the looser it becomes)

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 05:59 PM

i thought the lo-trs was a screw in...

if it's the lo-PRO, which has a pop-in bar, first, you'll need to make sure the socket is tight underneath. After that, it's all up to the two litte white bushings on the short part of the bar. Once those have some wear, the bar will swing around in the guitar, but that shouldn't affect the flutter at all. You can replace the bushings, but they're a little hard to come by and they usually wear out in 2-4 weeks, depending on usage.

~K
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Kenny,

It is a screw in! I just tried one of my old threaded bars and it's better.

This guitar was used and didn't come with a bar so I went to buy one and they sold me a pop in one.
Still the nut seems stripped because when I try to tighten it it only gets so tight then it goes back to being loose as I continue to turn the top mounted socket.
Quote:
you'll need to make sure the socket is tight underneath
Do I have to remove the strings and disassemble the trem (spring block) to tighten a socket underneath?
What is the flat head set screw for on the spring block? (setting the bar height?)
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Vendor

Screw in? Isn't the Lo TRS have the FR type bar with the screw on collar??
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

I know the type of FR bar you mean that has a quick release dial that you can adjust with your fingers. this appears to be like the older FR screw in bar.
I got it tight but the bar I'm using doesn't clear the volume knob (smacks into it)
It appears that flat head screw on the block sets where the bar gets tight.

I just need to find a tremolo bar that is threaded and higher now.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 10:39 PM

weird, didnt know there was a 7 string TRS....
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Is it good or bad?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz
weird, didnt know there was a 7 string TRS....
RG-7420
S-7420
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGtr
I know the type of FR bar you mean that has a quick release dial that you can adjust with your fingers. this appears to be like the older FR screw in bar.
I got it tight but the bar I'm using doesn't clear the volume knob (smacks into it)
It appears that flat head screw on the block sets where the bar gets tight.

I just need to find a tremolo bar that is threaded and higher now.
Make sure the bridge is set right - if it's lurching forward, the bar is most scertainly going to hit the knob. You can also bend the Trem arm slightly (out of the guitar, of course). It's not easy, but it's doable. You get better dives out of it once you bend it anyway

You don't need to take the strings off - all you need is a needle-nose pliers, although it's easier if you pop the bridge off by removing the springs.

~K
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 05:43 AM

An OFR replacement arm + arm holder would be great.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 06:12 AM

Just to clarify, the 7 string LO TRS doesn't have the same bar insert - or bar - as a 6-string LO TRS. It uses the regular Ibanez Edge bar but it's a poor fit. All you can really do is apply some thin tape or something to the area where the bushings go, before putting the bushings on. Also it sits up far too high, about a centimetre higher than it would in an Edge trem. It's a very crappy design and I will replace mine with a floyd equivalent at my earliest convenience. I find the tuning stability is fine but I can't deal with the height of the bar from the body, or the way it tends to come out of the body during use!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGtr

What is the flat head set screw for on the spring block? (setting the bar height?)
I haven't been able to find any use whatsoever for that. It seems to just be there as a visual thing, to plug the portion of the hole that's too deep for the bar to reach.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 06:34 AM

I put a piece of "shrinking rubber" (a tube made out of rubber that shrinks when heated ; comes in a variety of sizes) at the end of the arm and heated it with a blow dryer.
it works stupendous.

but I have a LO-TRS II.

maybe itīll work on your arm as well I donīt know.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Good idea with the heat shrink tubing!
I'll take the tremolo off the guitar and have a closer look.
(just can't stop playing my first 7 string)

Right now I'm wondering what angle the tremolo should be set to get the most extreme fluttering warble? I have it floating straight with the strings but maybe it should lean forward or back?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 05:34 AM

The angle of the bridge itself doesn't really affect flutter/warble as much as the angle and tightness of the bar. It flutters best when it's pointing towards the rear strap pin and tight.

Tags
arm holder , edge trem , trem arm , tremolo bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode