How do you align your nut pads? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

How do you align your nut pads?

I mean the ridges on the three pads on your locking nuts, of course. Do you have them aligned with the strings so the ridges are vertical? Or do you align them with themselves so the ridges are horizontal?

I prefer the horizontal look myself.

Unfortunately, Ibanez locking nuts for a long time now have been designed to go vertical. If you look on the underside of one of these nut pads you'll clearly see two flat areas that are intended to press onto and hold the string. These flat areas are perpendicular to the ridge on the top of the nut so to clamp the string correctly, the ridge has to be vertical.

But it wasn't always like this. The original locking nuts Ibanez used were designed for horizontal alignment. Those same flat areas are on the underside of those pads too, but the top ridge is parallel to them instead of perpendicular. In the photos below, the left pad is a 'vintage' pad designed for horizontal alignment and the right pad is the modern perpendicular version.

As far as I've been able to tell from the guitars I've purchased and can assume to be stock examples, the horizontal pads were used up to 1988-9. It's just a looks thing of course but I thought it was an interesting piece of Ibanez gear trivia to share.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 02:42 AM
Vendor

Re: How do you align your nut pads?

It's mostly an 87' thing only [and possibly previous], and it's because they're wrong and were corrected. When they copied the part they just plain screwed up.

The peak is there so the pad can be at an angle with a fatter string under one side and a thinner under the other. With the peak oriented the other way there is no ability to rock and the bolt just bites harder into one side.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Very interesting Rich. Thanks. So would you say that these older 'wrong' pads would make tuning for the A, G, and thin E stings more unstable as they are the thinner of the two clamped stings and the over-pressure on the thicker of the two would limit the pressure on them?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Vendor

They seem to hold fine but the pads are more gouged from the bolt and will squeak loudly when locked and unlocked.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 11:38 AM

Reviews: 1

I think the point of the vertical orientation is so that the pads can "tilt" to the left or right to accommodate the difference in string size. That's why I've always oriented mine that way. It's comforting to know that Ibanez realized the same thing and orients the flat spots on the underside to capitalize on this.

Ultimately, I think it's not going to matter (as far as string slippage) which way you do it, but I think you'll get more wear under the "bigger-string" side of the bolt-head if you orient the ridges horizontally.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 PM

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:49 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
LMAO!!!!!

sometimes it's good that these older threads resurface though.....good info here that doesn't need to be rehashed in a new thread.

Tags
locking nut , locking nuts , nut pads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode