How do you install a killswitch in a guitar?? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
How do you install a killswitch in a guitar??

hey guys
over christmas, i plan to install a killswitch in my guitar, which is an ibanez rg370 dxz. you guys dont appear to like "regular", non prestige/90s RGs, but this is my guitar, and its awesome. Live with it. :P
anyway, ive read tons of guides on how to do it but each one tells you to cut a different wire. One told me to cut the wire next to the volume pot, another one told me to cut the one connected to the output jack. so my question is basically, where exactly do i cut the wire?? it would help if you have experience in this, cause im well, beyond a noob.
also, at the hardware shop, what exactly do i tell the guy? He probably doesnt understand what I mean by a killswitch. Plus, it's pretty hard to find hardware shops in mumbai.
thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:49 AM

Re: How do you install a killswitch in a guitar??

cut the input jack wire, it is what is solely responsible for the beginning of the chain.

You will need a mini switch or some sort of switch with a on/off one part of the wire goes to the on, and then out to the volume pot as normal the other side gets nothing

so when you hit off, it well shuts off LOL. When its on it works like normal.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 AM

Do you want just an on/off switch, or do you want a momentary switch that will immediately come back to "on" when you release it ala Buckethead?

Regarding the wire, the easiest is as Ibanezcollector said - you'll want to cut the wire that goes from the volume pot to the output jack and install the killswitch there.

And don't listen to the haters. I assure you there are plenty here who appreciate non-prestige Ibanezes.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 09:00 AM

Reviews: 37

the best and safest way is to ground your jack .
one wire to pot ground for jack.
other to jack hot .
grounding will kill the sound and not disconnect your jack from the amp like pullig your cord out repeaditly.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

dcord: the buckethead-ish one. :P
thanks guys, I honestly didnt expect a response this fast! I'll make a thread on the project, once i get round to it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 AM

Reviews: 15

Try one of these. No guitar mad necessary: http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-C.../dp/B000VJRT9K
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikm13 View Post
hey guys
over christmas, i plan to install a killswitch in my guitar, which is an ibanez rg370 dxz. you guys dont appear to like "regular", non prestige/90s RGs, but this is my guitar, and its awesome. Live with it. :P
anyway, ive read tons of guides on how to do it but each one tells you to cut a different wire. One told me to cut the wire next to the volume pot, another one told me to cut the one connected to the output jack. so my question is basically, where exactly do i cut the wire?? it would help if you have experience in this, cause im well, beyond a noob.
also, at the hardware shop, what exactly do i tell the guy? He probably doesnt understand what I mean by a killswitch. Plus, it's pretty hard to find hardware shops in mumbai.
thanks guys!
If you are looking for a momentary off,, arcade button style,, check ebay,, there is a guy who sells them and has instructions right on the listing.. I bought one and installed it myself with no problem. a very easy mod.,
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

thanks GUITARMAGEDDON. I checked it out. Not sure if I will go for that guy, mostly cause of cash, but a good alternative. If one of my friends decide to get a killswtich, ill definitely recommend it.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 10:17 AM

On mine I shorted out the jack socket. One wire to hot lug, one to ground lug.
Further to Guitarmageddons answer, I used an arcade button and it does the job well, since those buttons are designed to be mashed anyway, plus they're lightly sprung so it only requires a light tap to press. And they come in about 8 billion colours, so you'll easily find something to match your guitar.
Something you should note is that while killswitches work great distorted, but if you use it on a clean setting, you can find it gives a 'pop'. It's normal, so if it does that on yours, you haven't done anything wrong with the wiring.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 03:08 PM

I have done it with an on/off switch from rsdio shack to and it worked fine.. but I think I like the arcade style better for the strobe effects.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

the arcade style one is much cooler :P
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

anyway, i was looking at the wiring cavity to just get to know everything, and i discovered a problem.
the output jack is inaccessible from the cavity.originally i was gonna attach it to the jack, instead of cutting the wire but now im confused.
i know the wire that goes to the jack. Is that the one i should cut?? or another one???
Sorry for all the questions, but im a total noob
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
anyway, i was looking at the wiring cavity to just get to know everything, and i discovered a problem.
the output jack is inaccessible from the cavity.originally i was gonna attach it to the jack, instead of cutting the wire but now im confused.
i know the wire that goes to the jack. Is that the one i should cut?? or another one???
Sorry for all the questions, but im a total noob
could you post a pic of the switch? also you may have to take the jack out to get a better look. just undo the hack plate screws that hold it to the guitar.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

how many posts do i need to post a picture??? this is my 11th
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
how many posts do i need to post a picture??? this is my 11th
10 you should be good to go!

Tags
guitar build problem help , ibanez , killswitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode