How to get a bound neck - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

How to get a bound neck

Ever since I became interested in guitar back in 1998 I have always wanted an RG3120TW with a bound neck. Since Ibanez has yet to come out with something like that (bolt-on H-H RG w/bound neck) both here in the US or japan I dont know how to go about getting the guitar that I have always wanted (maybe I am just too picky). What are my options for getting a bound neck? Can I buy a replacement RG2080, RG770FMTK, or JCRG20/8520 neck form japan to bolt up to a standard 3120? Could I have my fretboard bound or painted to look bound somehow? The only guitar out there with the color and the features I am looking for seems to be a JPM90th but since I dont ever see that happening, both for monetary and practicality reasons, does anyone know what the best way of going about this would be (would something like this even be possible/worth it?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 09:57 PM

Reviews: 30
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

UNIVERSAL ONE, thanks for the link to that topic. Using pinstriping sounds like a great idea. Does anyone have any pictures of what it looks like? Also is there a way to have it done professionally? If it isnt unbelievably expensive it would be great to have it done permanently by a luthier.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 11:29 PM

Reviews: 30
I can probably have some to e-mail to you in a couple days. I had it on my rg7 before it got painted to a blue/black burst and it looked cool, and since you brought up the topic again, I decided to do it again and it looks awesome. Not to mention it's suprisingly easy. Maybe LGM can do it, he does inlay work, and that's fairly close to the same thing I would say. Also, Brian Calvert (universaljems.com) might be able to it. I know he does most things. Check them out. They would be good people to have do it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 11:58 PM

A fairly competent luthier could bind a neck. It would have to include a re-fret, so expect it to cost in the neighbourhood of $200 to $300.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 12:12 AM

Soloist,

Look around for an RG1200. They came in either red or blue, have bound AANJ necks (yummy), DiMarzio pickups, and cosmo hardware. The body is basswood with a flame maple cap.

These are early Prestige models, produced in a pretty limited quantity in 1992-1993.

Also, you could look for a used RG3xxDX or RG4xxDX and do a neck swap, these will have bound WizardII necks, and they're OK if you don't mind the sharktoof inlays.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Dcord, you are definitely going to think I am too critical but I really dont like pickgaurds or HSH configured guitars for that matter, I wish I did because then I could buy an RG770FM/RG8570VV and be done. Also, I cant stand the sharktooth inlays on those lower models. Darren, $200-300 doesnt sound bad at all, thats great news I really didnt even think it was possible.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 01:12 AM

Re: How to get a bound neck

The RG421 has a bound wizard II with dot inlays.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 10:46 AM

Eddie or Jeremy could give you an accurate price...surely to be in the $300+ range. For that kind of scratch, I would entertain the idea of having them build you a neck from scratch exactly like you want it, and either keep the original 3120 neck for a project guitar or sell it.

It ain't gonna be cheap no matter what...so you might as well do it right.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloist
Dcord, you are definitely going to think I am too critical but I really dont like pickgaurds or HSH configured guitars for that matter, I wish I did because then I could buy an RG770FM/RG8570VV and be done. Also, I cant stand the sharktooth inlays on those lower models. Darren, $200-300 doesnt sound bad at all, thats great news I really didnt even think it was possible.
Nope, I don't think you're too critical at all. Pickguards aren't for everyone, and I hate sharktoof inlays as well. LOL. You could search for an RG1200 or such and do a neck swap...

Tags
aanj neck , brian calvert , cosmo hardware , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dot inlay , dot inlays , flame maple , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode