How humidity affects your guitar - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
How humidity affects your guitar

With old man winter showing up early, and with a vengeance in many places, I thought this article would serve as a good reminder about how changes in humidity can affect our beloved guitars...also a good point in there about how you store your guitar...I've always stored my guitars in their cases but I wonder how many jemsiters store their guitars outside of their cases on stands or hanging up on wall hooks...

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...ur_Guitar.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: How humidity affects your guitar

We don't have snow here but some days we have four seasons all together and I never had any problems with humidity.
Some days start cold, get hotter by noon, afternoon is like hell then a strong rain comes in the afternoon and temperature drops down more than 15-20 degrees.
It's a lot of changing for just one day still no humidity problems.
My guitars go to their cases only when going to a gig, in da house they're always on stands or hanging on the wall.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10

I haven't had any problems either but I think places that have a temperate marine climate like the pacific northwest are pretty constant with fairly high humidity...I bet Brazil is probably fairly humid all the time too so we're probably less likely to have any humidity problems with our guitars than in places that are in a continental climate where there are more fluctuations in the humidity.
I'm tempted to keep mine on stands or hang them so I can admire my precious beauties in plain sight but I've always kept them in their cases simply because my space at home is so small that I have to stack them in their cases and only keep the one out that I'm using at the time...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 03:21 PM

Reviews: 21

I do setups on my guitars twice a year aside from basic maintenance; usually in October and sometime in May. We get a big swing in humidity here from summer to winter. I usually keep half my gear in cases rotating them out as I switch my "player guitar" of the moment. It helps a little keeping them in a case but not much.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 08:02 AM

Good article. I've personally never had an issue, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some humidifiers for my cases. Humidity is certainly not a problem where I live and since I don't have forced air, I don't think it gets terribly dry even in the winter in my place.

Of course this will all be moot when I eventually buy a house and have my climate controlled man cave with all my guitars in glass cases on the wall LOL!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:29 AM

we run the gammot of climate in Minnesota and surrounding states. can go from 110 in the summer with high humidity to -30 in the winter. I try to keep my babies in cases. I run a de-humdifier in my basement where all my gear and recording stuff is. I will turn it off or on depending on the weather that week. So far so good!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:44 AM

one of the bonuses of living in the UK - if its gets humid, its only for a day or so and then it rains and clears itself! no issues here in 14yrs!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:30 PM

I keep my guitars in wall hangers and the humidity does affect them a lot. So I purchased a digital Hygrometer and a room humidifier and I have been able to keep the relative humidity between 45 and 57% they seem to have responded well.

The one thing I keep reading and hearing is that if people living in the same space as the guitars feel comfortable "Temperature and Humidity" "No dry itchy skin" then it is likely the guitars will be comfortable as well.

Otherwise, keeping the guitars in their case is the safe way to go, although I would keep a humidifier in the case as well. In NY the dry heat in my apartment is what I have to fight all the time to keep my guitars in good shape.

Last edited by Jorge; 11-17-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Tags
humidity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode