How Jumbo are Jumbo frets? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

How Jumbo are Jumbo frets?

I should know this after all these years, but I was just plunking away on my 2550 the other day and noticed that while it had wider frets, I didn't think they were all that tall. My fingertips easily come in contact with the fingerboard. They're taller than, say, my import guitars, but actually not by much. I've got some other guitars that proclaim Jumbo frets as well: USA Deans, USA Jacksons, and a Fender Malmsteen. The most consistent with each other are the jumbo frets on the Jacksons...they are wider, and considerably taller. I don't get much contact with the fingerboard. The Malmsteen sig appears to have the same frets, and combined with scalloping, it makes them feel even larger. The Deans have similar frets to each other, yet still a bit taller than my Ibanez.

I haven't played a lot of Prestige guitars, but did pluck away on a J-Custom a few months ago...now those frets were jumbo. Could have been stainless as well, but who knows.

Are the jumbo frets the same size across Ibanez lines?...or at least the Japanese made ones? In any case, they just don't seem as jumbo as the other brands I mentioned. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:09 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: How Jumbo are Jumbo frets?

Maybe had an aggressive fretevel? Jumbo is typically referencing w6150 but without a specific fretwire is just an approximation. Dunlop 6100, w6100, etc. are taller (more Jumbo).

w6150 width: 0.103" ht:0.046"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

When I first got the guitar, I had it setup to drop D. I'd get some buzzing on that low E, and dummy that I was I trusted the guitar to some techs at the local well known shop. They did do, what they called, a slight fret level...they called it something different, though. After they assured me that it wasn't as aggressive as crowning the frets, I get the guitar back. It still eventually had some buzz, but I now attribute that to the ridiculously set low level of action...there's no need for action that low. Even still, the low E buzzed if I 'leveled' the trem. Now I have the low E just a smidge higher to compensate for the buzz, and they also put some marks on the back of the neck (as if they had it in a vice grip of some kind?) and some blue marker on the higher frets of the fingerboard (that I eventually removed). My lesson was to never take a guitar back there, but to get back to the point, I guess whatever they did could account for some of the height although to be honest I didn't notice a lot of difference at the time. I bought the RG before any of the other I mentioned, and it was only in comparison that I noticed the difference.

Do Ibanez not use 'standard' fretwire sizes? It seems that Dunlop is the one I usually hear about. I guess what I want to know is, are the jumbo frets for Ibanez standard across the brand? Are the jumbos in my RG2550 the same size as jumbos on a JEM? Or any other?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 03:47 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

There is no "standard fretwire". Jumbo is not an exact size. You have to reference each specific guitar to the frets used. Various JEMs have various fretwire over the years, so do RGs, etc. An overly simplified page to reference below, the first 5 classic reference sizes. (Note jumbo used a couple of times different sizes)
Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts

Tags
rg frets ibanez jumbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode