How many springs? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

How many springs?

Hello,

I have a Lo-TRS trem. I am using 09-42 and guitar has 2 springs on it angled in this way / \.
It is better to use this config or the standard | | ?

I really like how loose is the use of the bar but the disadvantage is that the trem goes dows so easily during palm muting.
If a use 2 parallel springs can I get a slightly stiffer bridge? What about using 3?

Last edited by KronoS9; 11-27-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 09:07 PM

You can't make the trem any stiffer because spring tension has to balance string tension, you'll have to modify your technique and palm mute with a lighter touch with your hand resting further forward, it won't take you long to get into the habit.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 09:27 PM

Re: How many springs?

It will feel stiffer with 3 springs, might as well try out each config for yourself and see what you like. Spring tension does have to equal the string tension but the more springs you use the less they're each being stretched and the stiffer the trem feels.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 09:47 PM
Vendor

Spring tension still has to balance string but there are very stiff springs, or the more you use the same net effect. The high tension Ibanez springs are an extreme pain to adjust because a hair of screw turn goes a long way, but if you want a stiff spring those are the ones. [though I'm sure somebody else makes them also]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 01:47 PM

So just to be clear, a standard set of 9-42 strings at concert pitch pulls about 84.5 lbs so with two springs this means each spring is balancing 42.25 lbs, and with three springs each one is balancing 28.17 lbs.

How is this different?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 02:37 PM
Vendor

A dumb analogy because it's compression but you have a spring from a VW and a spring from an F350. Which one do you think is stronger?

His problem is the trem is diving from pressure put on the bridge, a higher tension spring resists the pressure much better.

Put 2 springs on balanced and 5 springs on balanced and tell me 5 springs isn't much tougher to dive.

Last edited by Rich; 11-28-2018 at 02:44 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much. What about angled springs? I ask again the original question: are two parallel springs the same of two angled springs in terms of trem stiffness?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:32 PM
Vendor

Angled springs come from 2 narratives, that a slightly more open spring opens slightly easier [softer feel] Or that it has more tension because it's already stretched open. The easiest answer is just do it and feel for yourself.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Hello.
Today I have tried a R370 with Edge III tremolo and 09-46 strings Ernie ball strings.
That guitar had 4 parallel springs. The really weird thing was that it seemed way too easy to bend strings and to dive the bar compared to my guitar with 9-42 strings and only 2 angled springs.

How can you explain this?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronoS9 View Post
Hello.
Today I have tried a R370 with Edge III tremolo and 09-46 strings Ernie ball strings.
That guitar had 4 parallel springs. The really weird thing was that it seemed way too easy to bend strings and to dive the bar compared to my guitar with 9-42 strings and only 2 angled springs.

How can you explain this?

it could be a couple of variables in play. As rich said there are different spring tensions. Some aren't as stiff as others and I have seen springs actually be different lengths which can also change tension.

However, it is far more likely that the trem was actually set up correctly where the knife edges of the trem meet the posts at an exact perpendicular (90 degree) angle. Most of the ibanez trems when setup correctly are very responsive to dives and bends regardless of what strings or springs you have. I had an rg570 with 10-52s setup to standard tuning with 5 springs and the trem was still really responsive. I could do trem flutters, and large bends would cause all the other strings to go flat. Again as rich said the tensions needs to match between strings and springs. There should be more resistance to change with more springs added because the stress is being distributed across more springs. So I have to assume that there is something else at play and it isn't simply down to springs and spring tension.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 05:15 AM

I experimented a long time ago with differing numbers of springs and arrived at four being the perfect number for my preference. Springs are pretty cheap and if you've got an hour you can pretty quickly determine how many feels best for you.
Hoseki is online  

Tags
floyd , lo-trs , spring , tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode