How much?.... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation How much?....

hi guys and gals,

i dunno if i'm in the right place here but here goes.... i recently took all the strongs off my jem and it aint been the same, i know now i shudnt have done that! and i'm not confident enough to try and fix it myself so i was just wondering if anyone could tell me how much money i would have to pay to get this fixed at a shop with a restring?

Its Jem 555 btw!

hope you can help

cheers

Shep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 06:33 PM

Re: How much?....

You are allowed to take off all the strings. I'm guessing this is your first Tremelo?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

its my first floating bridge if thats what u mean?! sorry to be a complete noob, but it definitley isnt the way it once was, and when i tried to restring it b4, for some reason the bridge kept coming up when i tried to tune it and i cudnt have it in tune without the bridge being scarily high, i now have put some regular stringson it and the bridge is still at a slight angle but not as big as it was b4........ Its just not the same and i don't know what to do!!!!! i may start crying soon!

also if it makes ne difference i took all the strings off at the same time

cheers

shep
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 06:44 PM

Shep, click on "setup" at the top of the page. There's lots of info on hwo to set your guitar up. Failing that, take it to someone who knows how to set-up a guitar, won't cost too much for a basic set-up.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 06:53 PM

I'm sort of guessing you changed string guage - taking all the strings off at the same time really shouldn't do any harm at all - in all likeliness all you will need to do is adjust the spring tension via the coverplate on the back of the guitar.

Cheers

David
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

hi people sorry if again im being a noob but on the setup part it says this

"JEM/UV owners (and all guitars with a floating tremolo) are in a real bind if they remove all strings simultaneously. This is because once you remove 2 or more strings you will lose the ability to find the "floating" position of the tremolo. It will be a futile effort and test of your patience to get it back to normal. "

Does this not affect me?

Cheers

shep
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep 842
hi people sorry if again im being a noob but on the setup part it says this

"JEM/UV owners (and all guitars with a floating tremolo) are in a real bind if they remove all strings simultaneously. This is because once you remove 2 or more strings you will lose the ability to find the "floating" position of the tremolo. It will be a futile effort and test of your patience to get it back to normal. "

Does this not affect me?

Cheers

shep
Bah. It's not that hard really. At first it might drive you nuts. But I took all the strings off my 7 and just restrung it and it wasn't difficult to center
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 12:31 AM

Taking all the strings off isn't a great idea if you don't know what you are doing but I've done it many times when building my guitars and/or replacing pickups. The reason you don't want to do it regularly or a lot is because it can stress the neck/truss rod. If you are using the same gauge strings, the trem should be very close to the same position as it originally was once the strings are tuned. If the trem is higher, that means one of 2 things:

1) you installed thicker gauge strings
2) possibly a tremolo spring on the back came loose?

If you are trying to use thicker strings you will need to either tighten the claw screws on the back or possibly add another spring.

If there are 3 springs on the back and the guitar is in tune with the too high bridge, just screw the two screws into the guitar a little farther and recheck the bridge height. Once you do that, the strings will need to be slackened some because they will have gone sharp so retune them and that will make the bridge come down some more. You will likely have to do this process a few times to get it balanced. If you find you are screwing the screws in almost to their limit, it's time to back them off and add another spring.

Tags
claw screws , floating tremolo , gauge strings , string guage , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode