how much of a truss rod adjustment do i need to make to my guitar? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

how much of a truss rod adjustment do i need to make to my guitar?

I have a Jackson warrior with a licensed Floyd rose trem. I tried putting on 10s on this guitar before but I didn't like the way it sounded and felt, perhaps because I did not know how to set it up well.

Recently I tried doing it again and it ends up sounding a way that I find hard to describe, almost tin or buzz or rattle like, and not because of the frets. The 3 wounded strings are the ones that sound this way. So I read about how making an adjustment with the truss rod could fix this problem.

What I am having trouble deciding is how much of an adjustment should I make. This is a guitar that I have never made any truss rod adjustments to, I always used it with 9s and I have also doubted whether it has been perfectly set up even for the 9s. I have made small adjustments like a quarter turn and did not really see a difference, but before making any more adjustments I would like to know whether it would be okay to add more tension to remove this strange sound and make it more comfortable to play.

I would also like to add that I have also never got the intonation on the strings perfectly for 9s or 10s. It has always been close and I have tried already to set the height of the bridge and checked the height of the locking nut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 AM

Re: how much of a truss rod adjustment do i need to make to my guitar?

1.5 turn from 9's to 10's should suffice.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 AM

There's no set amount. The answer is, "as much as your neck needs". Turn it in small increments and keep checking it. I put a capo on the first fret and then fret the last fret with one finger. Then I check under the 9th fret with a feeler gauge to dial in the neck relief exactly where I want it. You'll always want to recheck later, since the neck may continue to move.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 05:06 PM

Reviews: 13

I went from 009. to 010. and my neck showed no change at all.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 05:32 PM

Reviews: 37

put the 9's back.
i hate 10's also bigger strings show more of your guitars problems because the strings oscelate more.

technically if you put 10's on it should make the relief more not less just from adding the strings.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 08:46 PM

Fret the #1 fret E and hold, with the left hand thumb push down on the 24th and hold. At the 12th you should have a gap about the thickness of the E string from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string. You can press down on the 12th with your pointer finger on your L hand while thumb remains on on the 24th, just to see a visual movement to see the gap distance.

If you gap is more, tighten 1 nut face at a time!!!!
If your gap is less, loosen 1 nut face at a time!!!!

I have set up tens of thousands of guitars (no joke) using this method.

~JH

Tags
floyd , jackson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode