Ibanez JEM Forum banner

How to remove ZR trem, destroy it, then install Edge trem?

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  bdk 
#1 ·
I have a S2075fw, I have already sold the bull**** wizard II neck, and the next step is to remove the ZR trem, destroy it as it is unfit to exist as a tremolo, then replace it with an Edge. Has anybody done this? Do I need to reroute, or can I simple reinstall stud anchors and be cool?

I overpaid for this guitar and I can't stand to look at her.... however, now that I have an original wizard sharktooth, "custom made" inlay neck on her, I am starting to feel better about myself.

#15 ·
I bought the guitar on ****, without ever playing one. I LOVED the spalted fireburst top, it had to be the coolest guitar ever. I am no rookie to the S Series, in fact I had a s470FM, korean made, and 1 S540LTD, at the time. Over the years, I've owned every S Series ever made.... seriously. This S2075 was the worst I have ever played. I was expecting the wizard II neck to be similar to the Wizard II on the S470fm, however, no it was not. It was like a baseball bat.

I figured, how bad could a trem be? I had played a ZR trem before, I blindly had faith in Ibanez and it burned me...badly. First the trem rattles. It is IMPOSSIBLE to find the rattling part. I've read this in many other posts. Secondly, I personally believe that the trem zaps tone from the guitar. Can't prove it yet, and indeed I may be wrong, but once I remove it adn light it on fire, I shall know the truth.

This guitar reminded me of the girl who bought this (well, paid for 1/2) guitar for me, super good looking but ain't got no soul!!!!

#3 ·
What the heck? As Speedabob just asked, why did you even purchase the guitar in the first place? Don't destroy the ZR trem, send it over to me.. ;)

Oh well, your guitar, your ways. If you can handle routers, drills and know your way with woodworking, then go ahead, it's not THAT hard to do.. But if you're a woodworking noob, then I'd suggest giving the guitar to a professional luthier, so it won't be destroyed completely in the progress.

Or hey, I have better idea.. Why won't you sell it as is and buy old S-series guitar with factory installed edge? I bet you could get some of your money back along with a nice MIJ (older) S..

#5 ·
This thread baffles me a little. But what the hell. I'm gonna try and beat richs suggestion for destruction any way.

I suggest you drench the offending tremelo unit in diesel and/or lighter fluid and then launch it into outerspace by means of rocket! Details as to how you can build a rocket can be found here- http://monsterguide.net/how-to-build-a-rocket

My method is by no means tested or safe and I can think of dozens of ways it could go wrong and seriously maim you and blow up your neighbors cat. Should you attempt to enact my dastardly scheme in spite of this however, I urgre you to videocam it so I can see my glorious plan come to fruition.

Should you stop replying to this thread I will assume somthing has gone wrong and you are now floating around in the stratophere with the trem caught in your shoelaces seriously irritating you. Ironically.

#10 ·
We have this thing over here known as the ATF that will be on you like white on rice if you try a stunt like that. Then the animal huggers will finish you off over the cat issue.

To the OP, hurry up and sell what's left of that guitar before you destroy any more of what value it has left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.