How to set up ESP Arming Adjuster? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By buddroyce
  • 1 Post By buddroyce
  • 1 Post By jak352

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

How to set up ESP Arming Adjuster?

Ok...I routed my guitar and installed the ESP arming adjuster but I can't remember how to set it up. I though I would remember since a had a friend who had a Ibanez Backstop years ago and he showed me. Hell that was 6 years ago. and He passed away 4 years ago. So how do you set it up? the instructions come in japanese so I have not a clue.

Thanks for any help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 11:58 PM
Vendor

Re: How to set up ESP Arming Adjuster?

Backstop instructions

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/.../backstop1.jpg

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/.../backstop2.jpg

But Buddroyce [probably] has the most experience with the arming adjusters and is the best one to respond.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 03:32 AM

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showth...rming+adjuster
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 12:03 AM

I actually had a hell of a time figuring out how to properly setup the ESP Arming adjuster. There's essentially three things that you can play with. The bolt itself(the part that makes contact with the trem) can actually be screwed in and out to shorten or lenthen the entire thing if needed. The spring in the midden adjusts the amount of tension you want against the trem, it can set set so stiff that it's practically fixed(that's how I have it setup on my edge equipped USA Custom that I added an EVH D-Tuna to). The adjustable screw at the end also shortens and lengthens the whole thing. The length of the whole thing determines how much back pull you get as the bolt has a shorter distance to travel before it fully compresses the springs.

But to tell you the truth, I just kept f**king with it until I liked the way it feels. I actually setup most of mine by figuring out where the trem block need to be so the trem sits properly and then I install the arming adjuster so that the furthest it will push is about where the trem block will be. (and adjusting the bolt itself to fine tune it). I normally use either 3 springs and the block lock(one one an angle and two straight) or 4 springs if I want to turn my trem to something that's more or less a fix tail.
(I've also setup one of my J-Customs to use 2 springs and it had a great feeling trem, but I usually use 9-46 or 10-52 gauge strings so I needed the extra spring on the bass side).

The trick is to get the trem and springs setup with the spring on the arming adjuster completely loose and then tighten the spring on the arming adjuster once you've gotten your trem the way you like it. My first couple of attempts at setting it up without instructions(this was before I realized Rich still had the manual for the Ibanez backstop on his site), my trems were setup but the trem action was stiff because I tightend the bolt on the arming adjuster first and went against it with the springs. (Then I figured it was better the other way around...).

Once you get it properly installed, I'm pretty sure you'll like it. I never regret selling the Ibanez backstop that I had ever since I discovered this thing. You'll actually hear a difference acoustically once it's installed (it's acoustically louder and you get more sustain!).

Hope I didn't confuse the $#!t outta you(my brains been pretty fried after watching 5 hours of Gilbert, Satch, Vai & Zakk guitar clinic videos that I just acquired). If you got problems feel free to PM me. Enjoy your Arming Adjuster!! (I swear by mine and got a bunch more on order for the rest of my guitars)
[email protected] likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 12:22 PM

Can I ask how much routing is required? I've found it difficult to find this detail for the installation of the Arming Adjuster, and to be honest I'm somewhat loathe to route my Prestiges
However, I realise it's POSSIBLE to use them without routing.
I'm hoping to buy 4 of them in the near future, and install them with the imminent Tremol-No. Thanks!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 11:03 PM

You can install the Arming Adjuster without the need to route your guitars. You just need to install it further out and also screw in the bolt more. Personally I went and routed my USA Custom and my J-Customs that I installed them in.

Your mileage may vary by using it without routing. It can be done on some Ibanez models and I was trying to avoid routing my guitars, but figured I might as well do it right.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 04:40 PM

I've got the ESP Arming Adjuster instrutions translated into English (as I received them from the Japaneese supplier yasoohmusic1109): kempacoustics.com/arming/adjuster.jpg

Tags
esp arming adjuster , gauge strings , ibanez backstop , ibanez models , trem block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode