How it works? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

How it works?

Hi guys...
I have always been a big fan of the H/S/S configuration, but now that i have acquired a RG 1570 i think that the neck humbucker gives lots of versatility, however, lacks of that fat ,kind of """"""percussive"""""" sound of the single p'up ...
Then i heard about the coil spliting mode (i know, i know, what a retard... it has been there for a long time, but i didnt have any idea!) and i wanted to ask you guys, how that thing works? how can i instal that thing on my guitar? can you "split" any humbucker out there?, and most importantly, does it sound like a real Single coil when is splited?????

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Re: How it works?

anyone....?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 12:16 PM

Coil splitting only works on 4 wire conductor humbuckers. Essentially all your doing is shorting one coil of the pickup so it's no longer wired in series or parallel to the other coil. You can install a coil tap to split a humbucker on any guitar, you just need to replace either the volume pot or tone pot with a push-pull pot and wire it accordingly. (or you could install a mini toggle switch).

As for sound, your mileage will vary here. Some humbuckers sound better in single coil configuration than others. Why not try a Dimarzio Humbucker from hell?? It's a humbucker that sounds like a single coil(with the output of a humbucker)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your answer...
the thing about the humbucker from hell is that it haves soooooooooooo much treble, lacks of warmness , i was thinking in spliting the seymour duncan jazz model (on neck position) , what about this pickup?
Where can i purchase the coil tap?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 07:17 PM

Just ask your local guitar shop for a push-pull volume/tone pot (whatever you prefer). Any online supplier should offer them, too.

It should look like this:
http://www.has-sound.com/product_ima...h-Pull_Pot.jpg

Another easy mod would be to use the switch for switching off your middle pickup; then you'll get just the inner coils of the humbuckers in positions 2 and 4.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

ok, thanks for your help!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 10:42 AM

As far as I know you wont have to add an actual switch just rewire it so the neck pickup in the 4th postion is the only pickup selected

Tags
coil split , coil splitting , coil tap , guitar shop , inner coils , local guitar shop , mini toggle , neck humbucker , neck pickup , neck position , seymour duncan , seymour duncan jazz , toggle switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode