HQ tremolo - is it a threaded or push-in bar? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

HQ tremolo - is it a threaded or push-in bar?

Hi guys,

can anybody tell me if the HQ tremolo (as used on Maxxas, Artfield & some Saber guitars for example) needs a threaded or push-in bar? I think it was discontinued after 1991...

Thanks in advance
Oliver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 05:52 AM

the HQ trem has got screw-in type arm insert. i have a Maxxas MX-3 which has got the HQ trem, and i can't believe how solid and sturdy is, despite its weak-looking vintage-style design.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Hi Nuno,

thanks for your quick reply. (By the way, congratulations on your Maxxas guitar. I guess I saw it on ibanezregister.com. Love it.)

Okay, so the HQ bar is screw-in type. That's one important hint. Do you know if it's a "metric" or "inch" thread?

Oliver
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 10:23 AM

The HQ on my Maxxas is a push in. There were two HQ's. The newer, more common one has the baseplate rounded over on both treble and bass sides similarly. The one I have looks the same on the bass side but on the treble side there's an "s" curve, sort of an indentation right around where the arm goes in. Maybe that's the difference. Maybe all the ones that are rounded on both sides are screw in. I have an old Maxxas brochure that shows my tremolo in all the pictures, and on the back it reads: "The stainless steel, low profile bridge has hardened steel pivots. Push-in tremolo arm for easy removal." In the '89 catalog it shows the regular HQ trem, but doesn't mention the arm type.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Hi Frank,

thanks for your information.

To make things clearer, here's a catalog shot of the 1989 or 1990 HQ incarnation I'm interested in:

The base plate is symmetrical, thus I would say it's the "newer" one, and that would mean it's probably the push-in bar...which leads to the next question, how does the push-in end look like; as the common EDGE bar jack or different?

By the way: You don't have a scan of the Maxxas brochure you were talking about, do you?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 11:33 AM

Mine is a push in bar AND its the older one with the curvy baseplate. The one in your pic should be a screw in, but I don't know. All I know is mine is a push in, there's no "end" on it, and its tinner than the Edge. It'svintage strat sized, and with no threads. I don't have a scan but I've seen one around here, so someone has it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarrero
...congratulations on your Maxxas guitar. I guess I saw it on ibanezregister.com. Love it.
yes, that's my sweetie.
well, now that Frank has made me think better, i may be wrong, dont know, i have to check it when i'm home tonight. i'll let you know about.

congrats on your Maxxas, Frank!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 12:02 PM

these are the two HQs:

you can see the indentation Frank was talking about. i didnt know this before, thank you, Frank!

and this is the HQ-J from the 1990' catalog:

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

What about the whammy bar itself? What diameter does it have? Do you guys have any measuring slide (caliper) to gage it for me?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 09:49 AM

I don't know the diameter but its the same as a vintage strat. I think I had to make mine out of a vintage strat bar by slicing off the threaded portion. Then I found one loose in the parts bin. I think the one I found was a Wilkinson. So that should work, too.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
I think the one I found was a Wilkinson. So that should work, too.
Great news, thanks Frank. IIRC, Wilkinson bars are available separately (even with gold finish!) as spare parts, e.g. from AllParts.

Tags
base plate , tremolo arm , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode