I added a neck shim to my 555 but the action is the same... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

I added a neck shim to my 555 but the action is the same...

only the bridge is higher!

I had no benefit from doing this since I don't like to play with a raised bridge... I wanted lower action, but it's about the same...

Is the problem on the neck bowing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 10:10 PM

Look in the tech section about neck bow. An adjustment may help. I would go for the straightest neck possible. If not you might consider having a good tech look at it. Maybe your guitar could benefit from a fret leveling. And don't get too carried away with low action. Many many pros have higher action than you would expect. Maybe your playing style just requires a higher action to avoid buzzing.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 10:47 PM

Re: I added a neck shim to my 555 but the action is the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe

I had no benefit from doing this since I don't like to play with a raised bridge... I wanted lower action, but it's about the same...

so lower your bridge?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Re: I added a neck shim to my 555 but the action is the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindlei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe

so lower your bridge?
If I lower my bridge, it will cause unbearable buzz! And my trem surely doesn't reach the perfect 4th!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 11:26 AM

A neck shim will not help with string buzz, only a good fret level and good setup will do that.

If you have lots of buzzing at the action you like, you most likely need a fret level, either that or your neck is to straight, or back-bowed.

Check out Rich's site, it's one of the best sources for setup tips.

Mic
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 11:31 AM

Oh, and don't forget, no matter how good your setup or frets are . . . VERY low action (anything less than 2 mm at the last fret) is going to have some buzzing, especially if you have a heavy hand.

So in that case it's either live with the buzzin, lighten up on your picking, or raise the action and get used to it.

When I first started playing it was on a poorly set up, badly worn fretboard guitar and I assumed that a good guitar would allow me to lower the strings as low as I wanted with no buzzing . . . well my first good guitar was a Japanees made Fender Strat with an almost perfect fret level (don't let anyone tell you those weren't good guitars, I wish I still had the two I sold) and guess what? BUZZ . . . of course I tried to set my action at 1 mm at the 22nd fret, so . . . :-)

Mic
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 11:58 AM

I'm the last one to be offering advice on this stuff, but...

I'm puzzled that he says his bridge is higher. Since the shim by itself wouldn't change the bridge (stud) height, that doesn't seem right, does it? -- I'm wondering if he put the shim in the wrong place in the neck pocket (headstock end vs. bridge end) so that the bridge "feels" higher. So Filipe, could you describe what type (size) of shim you used and where you placed it? And I agree, Rich's site is the place to go for all setup info.
Bert
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 12:24 PM

If your action is too high down at the first fret, adding a neck shim and/or lowering the bridge isn't going to do a thing to help. You may have to lower your nut, adjust neck relief, do a fret level or some combination of these three.

Rich's tutorial is very thorough... give it a read and report back.

Tags
fender strat , fret level , fret leveling , neck bow , neck relief , neck shim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode