I Dub Thee, Power Jem - Page 2 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 02:26 PM

Re: I Dub Thee, Power Jem

If you want to move the grip to that position maybe you should consider the old style grip, like the one on the PBK model. this one just looks wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 16

Thanks for the suggestion! I don't know the grip that you're referring to, but I was considering removing the lumps where your fingers would go and basically let it be just a slightly curved slot.

Do you have a referrence pic of the grip you're talking about? I'm going to be starting on this thing in about an hour.

post #18 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 02:47 PM

27 FRETS 27 FRETS!!
post #19 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post

Thanks for the suggestion! I don't know the grip that you're referring to, but I was considering removing the lumps where your fingers would go and basically let it be just a slightly curved slot.

Do you have a referrence pic of the grip you're talking about? I'm going to be starting on this thing in about an hour.

that's exactly what he's talking about

post #20 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermau View Post
I think I'd split the difference.
Yeah, like something approximately more along the lines of this (sorry for the terrible drawing) You may have to modify the grip and slightly "U" it a bit more to fit the deeper contour in the body shape.

Or you could always go the Gorilla Grip route, but those things are soo "BIG" and soo much wood removal from the body!

Anyhow, good luck and look forward to seeing whatever it is you come up with
post #21 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Yea, that's what I was thinking with the old style grip. I think I'm going to do it at an angle like I've got posted above, but not so much of an angle like supermau was saying. And I'll "U" it a bit so that it fits the contour of the body, as Jemmer has.

I don't know. I'll see what it looks like drawn out on the body. I still may remove the finger bumps and just make it a slot like the old style...just not that big of a slot.

Time to start working on it. I'll post some pics of it later tonight.
post #22 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 04:45 PM

Well, I don't have a single good suggestion to offer you. I flunked woodshop in highschool, but I just had to reply to this thread to say WOW!!! You really amaze me with your talent and skills. I think it is so awesome that you are building your own guitar. My hat goes off to you girl! Best of luck!
post #23 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:04 PM

Nix the tone knob. Stick with just a volume and that's it. It'll improve your sound as well as the real estate on your guitar. The tone knob placement on there is crowded. No need for it IMHO.
post #24 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
27 FRETS 27 FRETS!!

I thought about it, but I didn't want to make it super difficult on my first guitar building attempt. Perhaps next time, or perhaps you'll commission me to build one for you.

Ok, here's an update. I routed for a good 4.5 hours. I didn't get as far along as I thought I would I should've started earlier than I did, but had to go into work first.

Anyways, here ya go. Everything looks rough at the moment. I didn't do any sanding to the routed parts, but I did break thru to the other side on the trem cavity. It's coming along. I might work on it some during the week, but I'll definitely hit it hard next weekend. I didn't even get to touch the 470 Jem conversion. Oh well.

Here ya go....

post #25 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative View Post
Well, I don't have a single good suggestion to offer you. I flunked woodshop in highschool, but I just had to reply to this thread to say WOW!!! You really amaze me with your talent and skills. I think it is so awesome that you are building your own guitar. My hat goes off to you girl! Best of luck!

hehehe....thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShred View Post
Nix the tone knob. Stick with just a volume and that's it. It'll improve your sound as well as the real estate on your guitar. The tone knob placement on there is crowded. No need for it IMHO.

Yea. I originally drew it on there, but I'm going to stick with the original 540P setup - no tone knob. I don't use it anyways.
post #26 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:07 AM

Reviews: 8

Wow... looks like you have about 14 strips of wood glued together for that body. I dub the Butcher Block Personally I would not cut the monkey grip in that body. I think it would look better with out it but that's just me.
post #27 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:04 AM

I was about to suggest the older style grip too. I think it would look great on a P-style body.

I also prefer the angled pickup.

As for colour, how about a 'reverse sunburst' with metallic purple around the edges, fading to black in the middle? Kinda like this RGR470DR I used to have, but maybe with the edge colour expanded a little.

Last edited by Petie; 08-06-2007 at 01:10 AM.
post #28 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:47 AM

the routing looks realy good. care to share some technical details? what router are you using? do you have templates or just draw the cavities on the body?
post #29 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

I've got a set of RG/JEM templates that I'm going off of. I drew out the RG templates first (including all the cavities), then with a pic of a 540P overlaid on a RG I hand drew in the curves for the Power Jem.

I'm using a Porter Cable variable speed router. If I remember right I'm using a 1/2" bit, but it might be slightly smaller than that...just can't remember. I can check when I get home from work if you like.

Anything else you'd like to know? Just ask.
post #30 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
As for colour, how about a 'reverse sunburst' with metallic purple around the edges, fading to black in the middle? Kinda like this RGR470DR I used to have, but maybe with the edge colour expanded a little.

I like the reverse sunburst idea. Only thing is I don't care for black that much. Now, if the black was replaced by a different color and the edges were frosted with white...that might look pretty cool. In order to do this effect I would have to get a detail air gun, which I currently don't have.

I'm still thinking on the color though. Thought about doing a holoflake of some sort. Maybe a candy. I'll probaby just sit down and look thru a bunch of custom guitar paint jobs to get some ideas going.

Also, today I was considering building my own neck. I'd really like to get a reverse headstock 24 fret neck, but those are very hard to find on the bay. I know how to build a neck, it's just a matter of doing it. I might just do the neck as well and that way I can say I built the whole thing from scratch. And I can also put the inlays on the fret board that I want....just do the whole project (guitar body and neck) from scratch and customize the thing the way I want it.

Anybody got any thoughts on doing a neck as well? I'd probably stick a real Ibanez neck on there to begin with and do the neck when I get some spare time after the body is finished.

Tags
aanj neck , alex skolnick , beautiful guitar , body shape , cavity cover , clear coat , custom guitar , david mccarroll , edge pro trem , fret board , fret neck , fret wire , gmc swirl , guitar body , guitar shop , headstock shape , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , jack butler , jem conversion , monkey grip , neck humbucker , neck joint , neck screws , paf pro , pickup selector switch , reverse headstock , root beer jem , sounding guitar , tone zone , truss rod , truss rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode