I Dub Thee, Power Jem - Page 3 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 02:51 PM

Re: I Dub Thee, Power Jem

Looks GREAT! I really like it.
I just have one question because it's my preference, but does the lionís claw not appeal to you? I know that's not the only option out there, but it seems (to me) with such a striking body like that, the bridge would possibly look better with and equally aggressive trem cavity. Just my .02$. I think it looks really good either way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 03:32 PM

Reviews: 18

Courtney,

The guitar looks great! Personally, I like the first position of the grip (right under the curvature for the upper horn), I think it would look good in that spot.

As far as the finish is concerned, why not do a fabric finish to cover the entire guitar? I think this pattern would look cool:

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/ca...px?ItmID=GG773

Jimmy
post #33 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 03:36 PM

I love it! I think it's the Jem Jack Butler would play!
post #34 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 03:55 PM

IF you're going with the grip, it should be bigger than the one drawn here. It's bigger on a PBK, the one in these pictures looks sort of icky weird small. Perhaps even go for a supersized look ?
post #35 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Jem_FP View Post
Looks GREAT! I really like it.
I just have one question because it's my preference, but does the lionís claw not appeal to you? I know that's not the only option out there, but it seems (to me) with such a striking body like that, the bridge would possibly look better with and equally aggressive trem cavity. Just my .02$. I think it looks really good either way!

No, I do like the lion's claw. I couldn't decide if I wanted to put that on here or not. I wouldn't mind doing something to the trem cavity, but what? If I did the lion's claw I would alter it in some way so that it's different than anything thats been done. What else did you have in mind? I'm open to suggestions on that. I probably won't be able to do anything to it until Friday - my day off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Courtney,

The guitar looks great! Personally, I like the first position of the grip (right under the curvature for the upper horn), I think it would look good in that spot.

As far as the finish is concerned, why not do a fabric finish to cover the entire guitar? I think this pattern would look cool:

I'm still monkeying with the monkey grip. I haven't really decide on the exact position, whether or not to include the finger lumps in the grip or just leave it as a curve slot.

However, I have thought about using a fabric to finish the guitar in. I've never done a fabric though, but I've seen it done and I think I could do it. Only question is, what fabric to use...what design, etc.?

I have run across some paint that is good quality and something I'm dying to do - color shifting paint. I've done a couple of holoflake paint jobs, but haven't done true color shifting paint like is found on the Xiphos. I know alot of people don't like those kind of paint jobs, but I just love flashy paint jobs like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-CeeDee View Post
IF you're going with the grip, it should be bigger than the one drawn here. It's bigger on a PBK, the one in these pictures looks sort of icky weird small. Perhaps even go for a supersized look ?

The grip that I've got drawn on there is the same size that's on the Jems. I'm not opposed to doing a bigger grip. I just don't want it to be over take the rest of the guitar.

I'm still messing with it. I wouldn't mind doing something that's alittle bit different than what's been done before. The Rootbeer guitar has a huge slot cut out. The Jems has a smaller cut-out, but with finger lumps in it.

I could put a contoured cut-out on the upper curve of the guitar where your thumb would go. Any thoughts?
post #36 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post

what would you have done to this body if it were yours?

LOL!...I won't even touch that one. Too many funny things to say.
post #37 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 06:34 PM

Check yo' PM's.
post #38 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 06:57 PM

Wow!!! i can`t wait to see this project finish!!!
i `ve read a lot of topics about power II guitars. All of them have a "big succes" in the jemsite comunity. That must mean something: IBANEZ WE WANT THIS MODEL BACK!!!

Last edited by sers; 08-07-2007 at 10:32 PM.
post #39 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

I'd love to see this model come back. I think it would be a big success. Until then though, I'll just make my own.
post #40 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:

I'd love to see this model come back. I think it would be a big success. Until then though, I'll just make my own.
Yeah, but then it's yours. You can take comfort in knowing that after you spend X amount of money on a factory guitar, the 1st thing you do won't be worrying about what you want to have done to it that the factory didn't do. It's yours and you made it exactly the way you wanted it! Doing it with your bare hands always adds a little something extra too!
post #41 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 04:45 AM

Quote:
[color=deeppink]

The Rootbeer guitar has a huge slot cut out. The Jems has a smaller cut-out, but with finger lumps in it.

I could put a contoured cut-out on the upper curve of the guitar where your thumb would go. Any thoughts?
Ah, you already knew.
I don't really understand what (or where ) you mean in the last part.
post #42 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Ok, imagine you're carrying the guitar using the monkey grip. Instead of resting your thumb on the backside of the guitar you rest it on the side of the guitar. I was talking about putting in a contoured cut-out for them thumb to rest on the side of the guitar.

Probably not worth doing. I was just trying to think of something different.
post #43 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 07:06 AM

It's a cool detail, but like you say,.. It might not be worth the work. It will be more or less invisible, and probably look like a a sort of "ding" on the side.. The relation to the grip will not be clear on instant sight.
Good thinking though,... It would be a pleasant change to see an original variation on the grip-theme.
post #44 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-CeeDee View Post
It would be a pleasant change to see an original variation on the grip-theme.

I agree. I'm going to think on it a bit and come up with something original that hasn't been done. I'm not going to settle for just a grip. This one is going to be different.

post #45 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 06:08 PM

This is honestly one of the coolest projects i've seen. The progress is great! Routing looks awesome. I would definetly do the old style monkey grip, like the Root Beer jem. The placing of the grip is a little different than normal jems i believe, a little more slanted to go with the curve of the body. Oh and if you're still debating making a custom neck, I would do it FOR SURE. With the knowledge and all the work going into this guitar, why not? be careful, when this ones done it might make the projectguitar.com Project of the month.

Tags
aanj neck , alex skolnick , beautiful guitar , body shape , cavity cover , clear coat , custom guitar , david mccarroll , edge pro trem , fret board , fret neck , fret wire , gmc swirl , guitar body , guitar shop , headstock shape , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , jack butler , jem conversion , monkey grip , neck humbucker , neck joint , neck screws , paf pro , pickup selector switch , reverse headstock , root beer jem , sounding guitar , tone zone , truss rod , truss rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode