I Dub Thee, Power Jem - Page 5 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 06:32 PM

Re: I Dub Thee, Power Jem

Project is looking good! Awesome ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsalad14 View Post
Hey is that Autodesk Inventor software? We use that at school in engineering class.
Yes, It's Inventor 2008 pro.
post #63 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post
Is that really a 14-piece body?
post #64 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 11:38 AM

Reviews: 1

It used to be a cutting board!
post #65 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Is that really a 14-piece body?

You better believe it buddy! Actually, I believe it's 16 pieces.

It's poplar and cedar. Poplar gets used sometimes in guitars, but I've never seen cedar be used. I don't know if there is a draw back to using cedar or not. This is not the aromatic version of cedar though. It might have a slight smell, but you can't smell it with it sitting in front of you. Even when you cut it you can't smell it.

Cedar and poplar are both very hard woods, both of these woods are very available to me and are cheap to buy. This started out as an exercise to see if I could make a guitar and see how hard it would actually be. It's not as difficult as I thought it would be, although I'm not finished with it yet. However, I think it'll make a good sounding guitar.

It did look like a cutting board when I started it. I laminated everything together, cut into a square blank and gave it to a friend of mine to plane flat. I considered using it as such, but then I got the idea to use it to make a guitar and see how it comes out.

So, what do you think about the "cutting board"?
post #66 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 12:08 PM

They use Cedar all the time on classical guitar tops.
post #67 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
They use Cedar all the time on classical guitar tops.

I didn't know that....cool. I think next time I'm going to use some different woods you wouldn't commonly see in a guitar like Shedua, Nigerian Pearwood, Satinwood, Leopardwood, Purpleheart, Bloodwood. Now some of those woods would make an interesting visual mixture. Would definitely have to leave something like that natural and unpainted.
post #68 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 04:26 PM

my question is...how is the sound from all these different woods?
post #69 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 04:34 PM

It's not even finished yet!
post #70 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex10 View Post
It's not even finished yet!

+1 on that.

Well, poplar is used to make guitars and apparently cedar is used as well. So, I would expect it to sound pretty good. At least as good as basswood...perhaps "better" - since it is personal perception of what's better or worse. Will definitely find out once it's finished.

post #71 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 08:58 AM

That guitar looks beautiful. You are quite the woodworker

I wonder what a similar guitar built out of strips of all the major tonewoods would sound like?

Would it have a balanced tone or sound horrible?

I bet it would look stunning.

p.s. Please update us with some pics as soon as possible. I really wanna see how it turns out

Rock on!
post #72 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I didn't get a chance to work on it last weekend, but will be working on it this weekend.

Yea, I've wondered too about the major tone-woods that we always see being made into guitars - like basswood, mahagony, alder....anything else? I think it would have a balanced tone. At least it would make sense if it did. All of those woods sound great by themselves....why not a mixture of them, you know.

The more I work on this the more I'm tempted into going into the custom guitar making business.....at least for alittle bit on the weekends. I've even come up with my own headstock shape. Still working on a proper name though.

post #73 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 02:24 PM

CORNERSTONE Guitars by Courtney.... how catchy is that?

As far as logo, just a CS in nice handwritten style.

Won't charge you consultancy fees for that...
post #74 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post
So, what do you think about the "cutting board"?
I dunno! On one hand, I know that cedar is a great, resonant wood, but on the other, I've seen people consider even 7-piece Fender bodies complete junk, pretty much because there are so many pieces that it might affect the resonance. Myself, I'm not a gear snob and I prefer not to say "this will sound like trash because of blah blah" -- it's just not possible to predict how it'll sound yet, you could well put together a knockout instrument. I hope so.

Good luck anyway! I'm sure it'll be a great project and I'll look forward to the pics.
post #75 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 04:25 PM

If you mess up the routing and drilling...you still have a nice cutting board.

Tags
aanj neck , alex skolnick , beautiful guitar , body shape , cavity cover , clear coat , custom guitar , david mccarroll , edge pro trem , fret board , fret neck , fret wire , gmc swirl , guitar body , guitar shop , headstock shape , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , jack butler , jem conversion , monkey grip , neck humbucker , neck joint , neck screws , paf pro , pickup selector switch , reverse headstock , root beer jem , sounding guitar , tone zone , truss rod , truss rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode