I intonated my guitar and it was more difficult than I thought - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By madasahatter
  • 1 Post By lespauled

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2021, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Suspended

I intonated my guitar and it was more difficult than I thought

I bought the Ibanez intonation tool. I only needed to intonate the B string cause it was 2 hairs sharp. I had no idea how to do it but figured it out eventually, at least I think I did cause I managed to get the open string and the 12th fret to be exactly on the B.

I didn't know you had to lock that saddle screw after moving the saddle before you can compare, this is a pain in the butt with a double locking

You're supposed to have the locking nut locked, then loosen the saddle screw, adjust the saddle, tighten the saddle screw, unlock the locking nut and tune to pitch and compare

if is not quite there, you have to repeat this process again and again until it gets there. I knew I had to move the saddle towards the bridge, but I had to move it a lot more than I thought, just to get rid of those 2 hairs. I thought all it would take was a quick little turn

Now is perfect and all strings are intonated but now I'm dreading having to do this again lol and in all 6 strings ayyy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2021, 10:37 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: I intonated my guitar and it was more difficult than I thought

Well, clearly the saddle is loose when you loosen the screw, it clearly holds the saddle in place! It's not going to stay where you put it under tension. Welcome to the fun part of setting up a Floyd Rose type bridge.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2021, 01:41 PM

That is all pat of the joys of owning a floyd rose guitar. It's really more time consuming than it it difficult.

Fowleri, In the few weeks I've come back to this forum it seems like you dominate the number of topics all dealing with basic setup of your one & only guitar. Most of those discussions have ended up going in circles with you saying you can't find a decent tech or people giving you advice but you not wanting to take it because you either don't understand or are scared to break your guitar. I get not wanting to mess up your baby, but have you ever thought about getting a cheap $50 beater guitar to practice all this stuff on. That way you can take our advice to practice and if you mess something up there's no harm done. After being able to tinker around with a guitar you have no fear of messing up, I guarantee that you'll have learned a lot and a better grasp on things.
Algiman likes this.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2021, 08:41 PM

Reviews: 15

Block the tremolo perfectly level.

Tighten the spring claw to make sure it's flush against the block.

Tune the guitar to pitch

Intonate the guitar.

Loosen the claw, and remove the block.

Loosen the claw until the guitar is in pitch.

It's the easiest and fastest way to intonate a floating tremolo guitar.
FireEagle likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2021, 10:04 PM

Reviews: 4

THIS sort of thing is why I wish I wasn't too lazy to install the Tremol-no system into all my floaters.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2021, 10:08 PM
Vendor

Changing intonation changes trem angle. You're not finished until that's fixed. So what was the point of blocking it anyway?

I don't see the point of alot of these tricks because I'm so fast doing it old school like I always have.
Rich is online  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2021, 01:03 PM

Rich, you have so much experience I'm sure you could do all of this blindfolded. I consider myself at least competent with guitar tech stuff, but my experience probably pales in comparison to what you have seen. The rest of us have to use some of these goofy little tricks to help us along the way.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2021, 01:07 PM
Vendor

100% of the time I'm working on a new guitar during inspection prep for setup I'll intonate the high E and D string. When I pull the bridge to check/fix the arm holder spring and tighten the arm holder I'll set all the rest of the saddles based off where the E and D are. 95% of the time I never have to touch them again after the setup is finished. If I do, a turbo winder on a drill is your best friend.
Rich is online  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode