I need a good noise gate. Suggestions please! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

I need a good noise gate. Suggestions please!

Title says it all. I'd prefer a pedal, as I don't have a rack and don't particularly intend on making one.

Thanks a bunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 04:34 AM

Re: I need a good noise gate. Suggestions please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem2k5
Title says it all. I'd prefer a pedal, as I don't have a rack and don't particularly intend on making one.

Thanks a bunch.
Boss NS-2 pedal. Its awesome. Cheap too, around 75-90.00. Works great.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 08:05 AM

I agree with the NS-2. Either that, or see if you can find a (no longer made) Rockman Smart Gate.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 03:57 PM

I suggest Rocktron Hush the pedal. I don't know if they are still made but you can always get them used and you shouldn't have much problems with used rocktron stuff. they are very well built
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 10:08 AM

I'd have to second the Rocktron recommendation.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 05:06 PM

MXR Smart Gate. It's the pedal version of the old SRD rackmount.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 02:31 AM

for those who have experience with the NS-2, i am using ME-50 multi effects in stereo mode. unfortunately, it is quite noisy and the built-in noise suppressor does not really work great. so intend to buy the NS-2 to help things a bit.

from their brochure, the correct way to connect it is, guitar ->NS2 -> amp. the noisy effect should sit in between the NS2's send -> effect input -> effect output -> NS2 return. in this case, the NS2's return jack is mono but my effects output is stereo.

would it work if i just do this? guitar -> NS2 -> ME50 -> amp? so i can use my effect in stereo?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 12:45 PM

My highest recommendation goes to the MXR Smart Gate. Absolutely the best gate Ive ever used in my life!

I think the Rocktron stinks. I've found it to be almost no help to a real noise problem and only be able to deal with minimal hum. Also I've had many of them come back from customers saying its been doing weird things like shutting off on its own ect. (Although Im sure they dont all do that.)

The NS-2 is also a good choice. But still to me not nearly as good as the Smart Gate.

Running the NS-2 or any noise reduction before the effect unit will not help you what-so-ever. You want the noise reduction to be placed as far ahead in the signal you can. Best right before the power stage of your amplifacation.
Running it right after your guitar will only noise supress your bare guit signal. And guitars should not be the source of noise problems. If they are you need that to be taken care of physically.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 04:49 PM

To be perfectly honest, i would say, if you can cope without a noise gate, with clever use of volume controls etc, you will be better off! Noise gates just make stuff sound poo IMO unless your using stupid amounts of gain!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 05:40 PM

Top notch:
The ISP Decimator
They only go for a little over $100... which isn't bad at all.

-Ben
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastofLove
Top notch:
The ISP Decimator
They only go for a little over $100... which isn't bad at all.

-Ben
this sounds really good
I would recommend hush because I have an old rocktron chameleon and it uses hush noise reduction and really works great but mine only works wit guitar pickup noise because the preamp comes afterward the hush and as it's digital it says it's noise free but if the guitar signal is noisy it makes the noise worse if you don't use hush

this isp decimator is designed by the same guys who designed the hush system so it must be like an upgrade or better version

Tags
isp decimator , noise suppressor , rocktron chameleon , rocktron hush

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode