I think I ruined my Wizard Prestige neck :'( - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

I think I ruined my Wizard Prestige neck :'(

Here's the story of a stupid man:

Once upon a time, my RG2550Z acquired two tiny dents. I grew sick of them. I attempted a drop fill repair... little did I know that the glue was so thin that it failed, miserably. There was way too much glue. Although there was an excessive amount of glue that dried, I told myself that I would dissolve it with acetone soon. I eventually put acetone, and dissolved some. However, as you can see:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18719434/IMG_0172.JPG

Apparently, while pulling away the softened glue, I think the glue pulled off some of the wood

Someone help me! I feel like my only prized possession is gone :'(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 08:40 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: I think I ruined my Wizard Prestige neck :'(

Use some sand paper and try to smooth it out and then use some wood filler to even the surface. Let it dry and then sand it smooth. Once you got it smoothed out, tape the area around the problem area and the rest of the guitar just in case and spray some clear coat lacqer on that area. let it dry and after a couple of days, wet sand it gently and then buff it. Surface wise, it should blend.

I would visit stew-mac and buy their products to do the repair.

Jimmy
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Awwww, man--that's an easy fix! Like previously mentioned, fill the ding with wood filler. Let it dry, then sand it smooth. After that, rub a little Tung Oil over the spot--done!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

YAY! I was depressed for the entire day until I read those two posts of hope!

I'm afraid... everything I touch turns to sh*t! Even the 0.0001% possibilities turn to huge probabilities for me...
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksabba View Post
YAY! I was depressed for the entire day until I read those two posts of hope!

I'm afraid... everything I touch turns to sh*t! Even the 0.0001% possibilities turn to huge probabilities for me...
So I hope you have never touched yourself
Wood............. it's just wood.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

I'll see if one of the only guitar stores in the country can fix this... if the fix is as easy as this, I'm sure those dudes can repair it. Simply. Without failing. Therefore making my guitar AWESOOME again!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Just in case the store fails... what sandpaper grits should I acquire?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:34 AM

Dude yo were on the right track to begin with, dunno why you chickened out and tore up your guitar. I have never once used wood filler on a guitar. Something that minor will get drop filled, scraped and polished. If there is a dent I steam it out first. Then, drop fill, scrape level and polish.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

My guitar is torn up? D:
OH NOES!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

OK, despite the fact that I live in a tiny island with NO luthiers/techs whatsoever, there is a shop called Manazel that's basically the "Home Depot" of Bahrain.

However, to maximize the probability of success, I must ask these questions:
1. What kind of sandpaper do I buy? What grit? Wet or dry? Quantity?
2. What kind of wood filler should I get? Transparent, translucent, or opaque? Water-activated?
3. What kind of clear coat laquer spray paint should I get? (I remember an art teacher many years ago telling me to go to Manazel, which is where he gets his paint from)

Also, I did a "demo buffing" of my guitar. The neck looks amazing(except for the dent-turned-chip) and even throughout. It also removed the acetone stain.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:18 AM

Reviews: 34

1. Aluminium Oxide paper something like 120 - 240 - 360 - 480. I finish with 600 wet and dry. I buy it in rolls. That is enough to do several necks. You can probably get away without the 120

2. Depends. If you can collect the dust from sanding, and I suggest you do, then get some clear and mix with the dust to fill the gap with the same colour.

3. Personally I've never used a clear coat lacquer on a neck. I use sanding sealer (shellac) then a little Danish oil, rubbing down with wire wool between coats. Someone else should be able to chime in with an answer.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Yay!

Since I don't want to wait for clear coat paint to dry, I'll just get some Danish/Tung/French/Scandinavian oil.

Still didn't go to the Home Depot-esque place...
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Hell yeah! Went to a wood supplier... those dudes are where the carpenters go to to get their stuff! CHEAP, high quality tonewoods!

Anyways, I got one A4 sheet of each of these sandpaper grits, all waterproof and impermeable:
P 180
P240A
P280A
P320A
P360C
P400A
P500A
P600A

... along with a "natural" colored wood filler, 1/2 liters.

Two complications however. Some of the glue is still left behind in the "spot." Could I just sand until it's smooth? Complication two: The chip is kind of between the walnut and the maple...

ANYWAYS, now that this man has the tools... he must get the instructions on how to NOT ruin his guitar.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 AM

Reviews: 18

I'd get a hold of a marker from that same wood supplier you went to and paint the line once the repair is done and before you clear it. The only one who'll know what happened will be you

Jimmy
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Fellow Jemsiters! There is no longer a chip! It is now MERELY a barely felt dent which I will fill now! Also, I shall remove the finish of my entire neck with 600 grit sandpaper. I will either finish it with a small amount of oil which I shall soon get(the supplier only sold full drums) or leave it unfinished if it looks good. Pics coming soon.

Edit: Jimmy, I was extremely lucky, since the chip was about 0.01 mm away from the walnut. No marker needed... phew.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode