I WANT A REGULAR FLOYD ROSE WHERE THE EDGE IS ON MY RG550! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

I WANT A REGULAR FLOYD ROSE WHERE THE EDGE IS ON MY RG550!

Has anyone out there taken the Edge trem - and it's rather annoying trem arm system and replaced it with a good old fashioned Floyd Rose one ?

You see i dont like the Edge trem, and i'd really like to stick a nice shiny Gold Floyd Rose on my RG550 but i'm curious if they are the same size etc and will swap places comfortably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 02:38 PM

You can try asking LGM, EKG, or Rich Harris(all linked above), and see if they can help you, though.

What don't you like about the Edge?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 10:53 PM

If its just the trem arm part that you don't like,you can put a floyd style insert into an edge trem.They are made by allparts.I converted quite a few edges and lo-pros.It eliminates the need for the nylon bushings.You get a floyd screw in type bar.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 04:41 AM

the Floyd fits well into Edge's cavity, though it's slightly different.

the Edge isnt bad at all, most ppl here would say it's even better than the Floyd. also, the need for the nylon bushings can be eliminated by using a little piece of cook plastic film (or whatever you call it). it's cheap, it's easy, no need to buy anything, no need to dismantle anything and most of all, it works great.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 06:37 AM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname
It won't work. The routing is all wrong.
Yes it will and the routing is not wrong, just bigger than OFR needs so it might look a bit funny but will fit without ANY problems.

ilia
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 09:18 AM

I don't think the fit is a given. It may work much or most of the time, but I'm sure I've tried this retrofit and there was some slight rubbing against the body on my radius.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 09:47 AM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTER700
I don't think the fit is a given. It may work much or most of the time, but I'm sure I've tried this retrofit and there was some slight rubbing against the body on my radius.
It's a straight swap EVERY time. There's a chance that you had one of the really old OFR that had the long trem block and that might have been hiting the trem cavity plate but nothing else touches anything.

ilia
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Edge flaws

I don't like the trem arm system, and have attempted to retro fit with an allparts one but i cant seem to get the 'widget' out of the trem so i can install the other 'widget' that'd allow me a screw on bar.
Also it's much easier to replace Floyd parts than it is ibanez ones here in the UK.

It's also a cosmetic thing, i've an RG550 and it's all black, and rather dull
So i've got me some gold screws and a couple of yellow knobs, upgraded to dimarzo evolutions that i'm investigating ways of brightening up and rather feel some gold hardware would get the instrument reflecting me rather than the 'rock guitar' buyer that Ibanez marketing department probably had in mind for it's target customer.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 02:32 PM

Why don't you just get a gold lo pro and convert the arm?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTER700
It's a straight swap EVERY time. There's a chance that you had one of the really old OFR that had the long trem block and that might have been hiting the trem cavity plate but nothing else touches anything.

ilia
No, it was the top rout that I was thinking of, but I think I found the source of my confusion...

I have a black Jackson Schaller JT590 trem. It is, in Jackson circles, considered a direct fit for an OFR. But it is NOT a drop-in for the Edge on my Radius! I tried the 2 chrome OFRs I have and they both ARE. This is a bummer because I would prefer the Jackson (I like the stiff-arm thing and hate those durn nylon bushings).
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 04:59 PM
dex

These nylon bushings are only a problem if you take the arm out a lot.
Left alone (well, you can use it as long as you don't take it out every day) it should be tight for at least 2 months and a pack of 12 bushings is £5.
Anyway, the widget you are talking about is screw in - the trem plate has thread in it and the widget screws in from the top.
You should unscrew the nut underneath and then the philips machine screw that is holding the little springhy thing, after that use a normal scredriver to unscrew the trem arm holder from the top.

ilia
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 05:31 PM

I've seen OFR's that will rub on the trem arm side of the edge route previously. I've also had most of them require the back side of the trem route be lengthened slightly as the "wings" on the OFR will sometimes rub. However, this comes down to the trem stud locations, sometimes they are drilled back a little far for some reason.
The OFR will look like it's off center in an edge route though due to the base side of the OFR being narrower than the treble side.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
These nylon bushings are only a problem if you take the arm out a lot.
Left alone (well, you can use it as long as you don't take it out every day) it should be tight for at least 2 months and a pack of 12 bushings is £5.
Anyway, the widget you are talking about is screw in - the trem plate has thread in it and the widget screws in from the top.
You should unscrew the nut underneath and then the philips machine screw that is holding the little springhy thing, after that use a normal scredriver to unscrew the trem arm holder from the top.
ilia
We have diferent definitions of "tight". I have put an old floyd arm assembly on my edge before, but it's not a great match since the edge baseplate is angled and thicker than the straight OFR or schaller. The edge will do for now, but I'll get a hankerin' to dork around with it again one day...
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 06:04 PM

Heh, I put the Schaller arm assembly(thumb-screw style) on my Edge trems. They stay tight for a good while(one is going on 2 years).

Now, TRS trems came with these bars, but not near as tight tolerances on the manufacturing.

Just an idea.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 11:31 PM

The other problem is the studs & bushings. The OFR bushings are smaller so you'd have to dowel then redrill. I'm 99% sure the IBZ studs won't allow the OFR to work properly. You can stick the OFR on there with the IBZ studs, but I don't think you get the full range of dive/pull-up you get with OFR studs.

Tags
arm holder , edge trem , edge trems , floyd rose , steve vai , trem arm , trem arm holder , trem block , trem plate , tremolo arm , trs trems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode